R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestions about my 2009 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Podster View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about my 2009 171
    Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 4:37am
Do new Pods normally include a sewer hose?
thegrandpoohbah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 1:56am
Thanks for the input everyone. The first tank dump today went smoothly enough. I have now ordered a Rhino Flex hose kit off Amazon.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 10:33am
I smelled that a lot in the pod, too, until I had the lower toilet seal replaced.  I wondered at times if it was coming in via the tank vent on the roof via the open bathroom vent, too, but after the fix and then 4 weeks in the pod this summer I didn't smell a thing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 9:32am
Originally posted by techntrek

Best method for waste tanks:  it is ok to leave the gray dump valve open if you have full hookups,

Doug,

Let me take slight issue with this recommendation. Just yesterday at a full hookup CG with my Camplite I left the gray valve open and my wife again noticed the sewer smell in the bathroom. My take is the vacuum breaker/vent in the gray water line (under the sinks) somehow allows a backflow of gas from the public sewer, especially when aided by the exhaust fans running. I had the same issue with the RPOD even with windows cracked open when the fan was running.  I know this isn't supposed to happen, but somehow it does. My evidence is not conclusive because there is a path from the rooftop stack back through the open bathroom vent (fan off) if the other ceiling fans are running. Still under investigation, but it has happened to me on several occasions on two different campers so it's a caution..

Now back to your newest fixer-upper project. Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 8:18am
Best method for waste tanks:  it is ok to leave the gray dump valve open if you have full hookups, but if it is getting close to the time to dump the black tank, close the gray valve to build up some water (a shower or two is perfect).  Do not dump the black tank until it is at least 2/3 full.  If you must dump it before then, make sure you fill it up with water via the toilet until it is 2/3 full.  Then dump the black tank first, the gray tank 2nd.  When you are done, add several gallons of water to the black tank along with one of the many tank treatments available.  Add at least 3-4 full toilet bowls of water.
Also for best results, when you use the bathroom for #2, fill the toilet at least half-full of water.  Lots of water = best results for dumping the black tank later.

It won't hurt to leave the brake controller in place, I left it in my prior vehicle 24/7.  In my new TV I installed it with velcro so I could unhook it between trips.

I agree that a 12 gauge extension cord will be ok for what you describe.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 7:31am
     When we had our 2009 171 I would fill the toilet to the top a few times with a bucket of water and flush the toilet with the drain valves open. You have a nice camper we enjoyed ours for the 5 years we had it, I miss it. The first r-pods were built with hardwoods the newer ones are built with soft pine. Enjoy camping with it. Smile
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 7:12am
We leave our brake controller attached all the time
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 2:58am
  I think most people leave their brake controllers mounted forever.  Why not?  But it's up to you.

As for an extension cord, "regular" is a relative term.  You'll need a adapter to go from your 15 or 20 amp outlet (unless you have a 30 amp outlet, which is somewhat unusual), and depending on how far you need to go, you'd do well to go to Home Depot or some such place and get at least a 12/2 with ground extension cord.  If you're going 50 feet or more you might want to go 10/2 with ground.  I think of a "regular" extension cord as one of those flimsy little thing you might use in your living room because a lamp won't reach an outlet.  Those won't do.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:18am
Oh, I also want to plug in to the 110V AC outside my house but the power cable is not long enough. Can I use a regular outdoor extension cord or do I require something more heavy duty? I only want to power the fridge and maybe the microwave. I do not have A/C.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:14am
I just got home from picking it up and will need to dump the black and gray tanks for the first time tomorrow. Is there any way to flush the tanks out? Or do I just flush the toilet a bunch of times?

Also, I had a Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller installed. Do I leave it in the truck for the winter or should I disconnect it?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12