R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater in tank while traveling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in tank while traveling?
    Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 7:00pm
As mentioned, the only consideration is if you are on the edge of your towing limits (hitch weight and towing weight) for your TV.  We always travel with at least 5-10 gallons for on-the road needs, and we've traveled at least 9 total weeks on the road with a full water tank.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:35am
 I routinely fill the tank at home ( yep all 30 gallons plus 6 in the hot water heater ) and travel 236 miles to my destination camping area.

No issues with my tank mounts, and the Pod is still barely half of the tow rating of my TV. The overhang from my rear TV axle to the tow ball is VERY short (a great thing) compared to most SUV's.My only beef is that the fresh water tank is mounted behind the axle, and unloads the tongue weight. I can notice a difference when towing, but it's not a big deal.

It wouldn't make sense for Forest River to have a tank mounting system that couldn't handle the extra weight of full tanks while transporting. The gray tank especially can become full during a camping trip, and when dry camping, you must tow to a dump station, wherever that may be. ( I live about 9 miles from a public dump station at a highway rest area here in CT, open from late Spring to Late Fall,  free )

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 8:45am
Good question, I am planning to do the same, travel with 4-5 gallons of fresh water. One good thing with the distribution of the weight in this situation is that the tanks are low so it shouldn't rock the center of gravity much. 
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 7:52am
We will usually throw in 4-5 gallons of water if we are on the road and going to stop at a rest area or Flying J for a night or two. Haven't had a problem yet 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:04am
    When we had our 171 we traveled with a bout 10 gallons of fresh water in tank. With the Vibe we have traveled with about the same. Its nice as you said to be able to wash hands and dishes etc. We have taken showers in rest areas a couple of times. As long as your TV can safely handle the extra weight no problem.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 3:46am
Question:  Is it ok (safe) to have at least 5 or so gallons of water in the fresh water tank while you're on the road?  We'll be bringing our 171 home (~1150 mi) in another week or so & it sure would be nice to be able to wash hands, etc when we stop.  But .. I also think I've read that the weight moving back & forth is hard on the tank mounts & can contribute to sway.  (Doesn't seem like ~40 lbs should cause much of a problem but I've guessed wrong before! Ouch)

What do y'all do?

Thanks,

John
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
 Post Reply Post Reply