Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamping in Canada ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping in Canada ??
    Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by DavidW

Again, for electricity I always carry 100'. Most electric posts in our Provincial Parks serve two adjacent sites.

I'd really like to stress DavidW's point.  Its a very rare occasion (once a year, perhaps) that I find myself on an Ontario Parks campsite where the r-pod's stock power cord will reach a power post.  Generally, I'll need at least 25', usually 50' of extension on top of the 26' stock.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 8:11pm
I'd really like to stress DavidW's point.  Its a very rare occasion (once a year, perhaps) that I find myself on an Ontario Parks campsite where the r-pod's stock power cord will reach a power post.  Generally, I'll need at least 25', usually 50' of extension on top of the 26' stock.
[/QUOTE]

Got the message. I'll bring 85-88 feet of 30 Amp cord. I assume the connectors are the same as our standard two blade plus one prong 30 Amp RV plug. We're really looking forward to our short camping trip to Canada.

Thanks,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
DavidW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:18am
CharlieM, Yes, the connectors are the same.

Enjoy your trip!
David & Liz
2014 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Traverse
And Lily (our 8 yr old Golden)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:33pm
I've always thought it would make sense to standardize future campground connections on the L14-50 (50 amp) twist-lock outlets/plugs.  For comparison, portable generators with a twist-lock connection use a L14-30 (30 amp), and the pods use the L14-30 where the power cord plugs into the pod.  Get rid of the TT-30 (30 amp) and 14-50 (non-twist-lock 50 amp).  Keep the 20 amp outlet for standard extension cord connections, too.

The twist-locks are physically more stable for starters.  By going with the larger size for everyone, it wouldn't matter if you had a popup, pod, or a big rig, whatever power you need would be available.  One downside to this conversion, though, is if the big outlet is broken your only fallback is the 20 amp outlet.  They way it stands right now you can use an adapter to plug your 30 amp connection (TT-30) into the 50 amp big-rig connection (NEMA 14-50).

A random musing, somewhat off topic.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:01pm
OK folks,

We've decided on Killbear and Chutes Prov. parks. Got the long power cords and understand the water ins and outs. So for a week in Canada relatively close to the border and armed with plastic cards will I need Canadian currency or will pretty much everyone accept US $$ ?
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:51pm
No, I would say you will have to get your self some Cana Bucks
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:27am
Speaking of credit cards-   when I was last in Canada about 10 years ago nobody took Discover card.
Is that still the case?
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
DavidW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:17am
Budward,

Yes, that is still the case. Very few will accept DISCOVER. And a lot of businesses really don't like AMEX because they are charged large service fees.

Your best bet is VISA or MASTERCARD. (Of course they will charge you a conversion fee).

Cash is good but few of us carry much cash anymore either. Most places now take debit and don't keep much cash in their drawers.

I second the comment that Canadian cash is better to use than USD. Mainly because not everyone will take it and, if they do, might not give you much better than 1:1 (which is a 10% loss for you).

Cheers,

David
David & Liz
2014 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Traverse
DavidW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:22am
Budward,

I forgot to add that we will be at Killbear for Canadian Thanksgiving from Sat. Oct 11th to Mon. Oct 13th.

I can't see from the conversation thread above when you are travelling but if you are at Killbear when we are, you would be most welcome to drop by. We will be on site 628 in the Granite Saddle Campground.

David
David & Liz
2014 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Traverse
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:24am
Originally posted by CharlieM

will I need Canadian currency or will pretty much everyone accept US $$ ?

Yes, pretty much everyone will accept US cash.  You won't get a very good exchange rate tho and they may well just give you par.  And, your change will be in Canadian (its the law).

Plastic works pretty much everywhere here (predominantly MasterCard and Visa. AMEX will work at most hotels and restaurants, 50% of gas stations and very few campgrounds).  Don't forget we've got chip-n-PIN, so make sure you've got a PIN if you have chip and its getting to the point that you're turned away if you don't have a chip at all.  Most gas stations don't support pay-at-the-pump for US credit cards, so you'll have to go inside.

Debit will work, if you're on one of the major networks (like Cirrus) and have chip-n-PIN.  I don't think you can even use a swipe debit card here anymore.

Oh - its very unusual for Canadians to have a combined credit/debit card and they're treated a bit differently here than you're used to.  In fact, clerks have to punch a different button on their till for credit vs debit - the customer doesn't select it at the PIN-pad.  When you're asked "how do you want to pay for that?" - they're looking for an answer of "cash," "credit" or "debit."  They really don't care if its MasterCard or Visa -or- that you want to debit the money from your Chase account.

Personally, when I go to the US, I usually pay for everything with my MasterCard (they offer a fair exchange rate with no extra fees).  I'll also usually find a bank machine somewhere just over the border and pick up $60 for miscellaneous expenses.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>