R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBought a camper (isn't a pod)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a camper (isn't a pod)
    Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:13pm
Wow, that is insane.  They keep going backwards.  From fridges needing no power for LP mode, to needing some no matter what, and now making them so they are sucking down 12 additional amps (on top of what the fridge control board uses) and giving you no way to stop it.

I just checked the manual for my Dometic and this is what it says:  "Note that when turned on, the climate control will draw 12 VDC power continuously. Turn it off when a charging source is not available."

And now that is a permanent feature.  Right.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:43pm
Insane? Yes. I foresee the next "improvement" will be a small internal circulating fan, which will of course, require 120 VAC!  Confused 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:39am
Yep high tech is not a good thing when camping when old school low tech does the job just fine. 
I'm going to mount a second t'stat in my pod at some point for the heater and not have it run off the digital Dometic one that controls the heater and the A/C in one unit.
Had a humidity issue on a trip when it rained for 24+ hours in the pacific northwest- really wanted to run the A/C to dehumidify while running the heater at the same time to keep the temperature warm enough.  
Have done that in the past with old school campers, can't do it now with new stuff.

BTW how stupid is it that the Dometic t'stat can show you the current temp but NOT when heat or A/C is running, you have to turn them off to check the current temp.Ying Yang

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:02am
I have issues breathing in high humidity so I could see myself doing the same thing.  Ironically it isn't a possibility at home, either, due to the all-in one thermostats.

After seeing all the issues with the digital thermostats on this forum, I'm glad my pod had the old manual type (the new camper does, too).

My TV has a similar problem.  The clock on the radio.  It is there when the radio is on or off.  If the key is out of the ignition you can bring up the clock by pushing a button.  But make or receive a cell phone call (via bluetooth which routes through the radio) and the clock goes away.  Pushing a button will bring it up, right?  No.  So right when I'm likely to be telling someone when I'm going to arrive, or be late, I have to look at my watch to see what time it is.  A lot of people don't wear watches anymore so they would have to fumble for their cell phone - and the whole reason for that bluetooth connection is so they don't have to fumble with their cell phone while driving.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 2:03pm
MD requires an inspection for used trailers, and yesterday mine passed with no problems.  Yay!  I knew the prior owners hadn't travelled much with it and the inspection tech mentioned the brake pads all measure nearly new (within something like 0.005 inches).  I now have all the paperwork to finally transfer the title and transfer the registration/plates from the pod, although I need to find a notary for the bill of sale first.

I've knocked a lot off the to-do list so far.  New door catches (cargo and man door), an extra work light on the side, repair the front work light, convert all the existing fixtures to LEDs, re-caulk a spot where it was necessary, check the lug nuts and tires, fix a propane leak by the tanks, fix a trim piece inside, fill the LP tanks, once-over on all appliances, tighten up the cargo door locks, extra keys for the man door.

Still to come: new bathroom fan (which means replacing the whole vent assembly), another work light at the rear, clean the A/C coils, new curtains, additional turn/brake lights mounted high up (like I did with the pod), add a receiver hitch, add a few shelves, fix the fresh water tank vent line, and possibly adjust the WDH.

Camping is a lot of work.  Embarrassed

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 2:33pm
When's the party? Smile

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:47pm
The weekend before Halloween!  Annual bash at our local state park.  We hand out several hundred dollars worth of candy to a thousand kids that come from all over.  Big smile
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 10:18pm
What's your definition of a kid? Got Heath Bars and Snickers? Star

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 8:22am
Originally posted by techntrek

Still to come: new bathroom fan (which means replacing the whole vent assembly), another work light at the rear, clean the A/C coils, new curtains, additional turn/brake lights mounted high up (like I did with the pod), add a receiver hitch, add a few shelves, fix the fresh water tank vent line, and possibly adjust the WDH.

Camping is a lot of work.  Embarrassed

Tech,
If you have not seen these, suggest looking at them. I put one in my Coleman and am very pleased with it. I bought the single speed model. It was not as noisy as the OEM (cheapo fan), but a little more so than I liked. Plus, I didn't need to move as much air as it was moving. I added a 10watt/10 ohm resistor (Radio Shack) in line and it is just perfect. (Cheaper than buying the 3 speed model). The whole job took about 30 minutes (not rushing) and you don't have to disturb the existing opening - just remove the screen and existing fan (all done from inside the trailer).

Outside, I have one of the "regular" MaxxAir vent covers and it is really too small for the fan. I plan to change it to one that is for the high volume fans. I get a certain amount of "air noise" and testing removing the vent cover eliminated it. (I still want a vent cover, however).

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/vortex-replacement-vent-fan-upgrade/49448
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 10:04am
Doug,

If you look into this fan I'd be interested in your evaluation. I have the OEM "Lil' Screamer" , also made by Hengs, in my bath and I was considering replacing it with a Fanrastic. I had also planned to do the resistor thing as David did because even the FF on low is more than I need. I also dont need a multi-speed, reversing, thermostat controlled fan in the bath. I just need a quiet, slow and inexpensive upgrade. David may have found it.

David: Thanks for the tip.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>