R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-pod for 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-pod for 4
    Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 1:07pm
We want to purchase an r-pod but are not locked into any particular model. What model is best for sleeping 4 (2 adults,2 teenagers)? Is there one that has a queen bed and bunks in the same unit? We live on the West coast and probably want a Hood River Edition unless the East coast version has the same ground clearance.
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 3:14pm
We have a 176 which has a dinette that coverts to queen and two bunks in the front.  The upper bunk as been partially removed because the bunks we so tight.  Depending on the age/size of your teens they may be very uncomfortable in them.  Another thing to consider about the bunks is the comfort of the mattresses.  The mattresses that came with the camper were thin foam - not great.  I replaced mine with 8" memory foam mattress which sleeps great, but makes the space between the upper bunk even more limited. 

My advice would be to visit a dealer who has lots of different models in stock and to sit/lie/stand in them with all the people who will be in the pod with the door shut.  We did this at a dealership in Salem OR when we were looking and the experience really clarified what models we could and couldn't use.

Another possibility if the kids are big teens is to set them up on cots in the dome.  Although I've never spent the night in the dome, I have been known to nap in there from time to time.

Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by mtshastadog

We want to purchase an r-pod but are not locked into any particular model. What model is best for sleeping 4 (2 adults,2 teenagers)? Is there one that has a queen bed and bunks in the same unit? We live on the West coast and probably want a Hood River Edition unless the East coast version has the same ground clearance.

If you're out west you most certainly end up with a HRE Rpod if you buy one.  But yes the east ones either do or can have added the same ground clearance for the most part.  There would be a tiny tiny tiny difference with the HRE's larger tires but that would be inconsequential.

Plenty of Pods can sleep 4 adults.  A 182g would come close to fitting what you're looking for as it has bunks and then a dinette which can be a queen bed.

But nothing has a queen standalone bed and bunks both.  A 178 has a queen bed and then a dinette that can be a bed at the opposite end and also would sleep 4.  
COSPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 5:24pm
Unless your teens want to sleep in same bed, you have 172, 176, 182, basically the same sleeping setup for each, you have 2 bunks, then dinette converts to bed. We tend/try to just keep the dinette setup as a bed unless the weather is bad, just less work to keep switching it around (kids not eating in camper is also nice bonus)

172 - biggest bunks, but least room as no slide out
176 - you get a slide out so more "hallway" space, but you lose some bunk width
182g - take a 176, flip the bunk with dinette, stick the garage on the back

as already mentioned, I'm not sure how teens would like the smaller bunks of the 176/182. I'd highly recommend going to see a dealer and looking at least at a 172 and 176. The 182 seems about the same inside as 176, just a garage on back. It's kind of a tradeoff of small bunks for a bit more hallway space.. hard to make a call there as 172 is pretty tight on the interior with just 2 adults. The other aspect is cost, as with anything more options means more cost.

For reference/opinion, i have a 172 and 2 small kids. The biggest challenge we run into is storage space, particularly for a longer trip, we tend to use about 1/3 of each bunk for clothes. That works when kids are little, teens would probably be more a challenge. We added numerous storage hanging pocket things, hooks, etc, but still have a hard time between the clothes/food.  Though you do get better and more efficient each trip .

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 5:57pm
As mentioned, the 178 can sleep 4, same as the 171, with the dinette slightly tighter with the size of a "RV double", and the queen is a "RV queen", both slightly smaller than the equivalent home version.

We have 4 total in our 171, and when our kids got bigger I built a semi-permanent bunk above the dinette.  When camping we spend most of our time outside, even when raining, so we rarely have problems with space except right at bedtime (if the kids don't go to bed first, which they often do).  However, when touring (not camping) there are times when we are all in the pod for 10-12 hours at a time, like at truck stops, and then things feel tight at times - but really most of that time we are on the beds reading, on the net, or sleeping.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 7:03pm
Welcome to the group!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
JStrube View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 9:30pm
Teens sleep outside in my household...  Tents are great for them,  plus keeps options open for adult fun.  Check out your local toy hauler liquidators for a good price.  They had a good stock on hand when I looked.
2012 181G
mtshastadog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:30pm
Thanks everyone for your useful responses and advice. You gave me key things to look for when we head down to the dealers.
mtshastadog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 12:10am
kymooses - thanks for your reply.

The 176T looks very interesting. Any knowledge about this model?

My wife wants to take this thing off-road and I am very concerned about ground clearance and the tires. Can we swap out the standard tires for larger, off-road tires?
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 8:49am
Originally posted by mtshastadog

kymooses - thanks for your reply.

The 176T looks very interesting. Any knowledge about this model?

My wife wants to take this thing off-road and I am very concerned about ground clearance and the tires. Can we swap out the standard tires for larger, off-road tires?

This is just a general statement of knowing and watched the "t" model owners over the years.  A lot of people are initially interested in them.  A lot of people like the thought of the hybrid feel so it feels like tent camping again, and then still others like the thought of the extra space and more room to sleep.

What ends up happening is the tent bed overhangs the dinette area a bit and is in the way for some owners, inevitably tents end up leaking (some owners haven't had this issue but more than a few have reported it; afterall it is a tent.  They are of course harder to heat and cool but that's not a huge issue.  The last thing I've seen owners complain about is just simply that it's a tent and requires more setup, if it's wet when you break camp you're going to have to pop the tent back out at home to let it dry etc.

I've seen owners love "t" models for the whole time they've owned them, but once they've moved on to something else they've commented they wouldn't own one again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>