R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic Air Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic Air Conditioner
    Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 9:57pm
Just curious if any one has replaced their Dometic A/C? If so, brand and what kind of money are we looking at? We have a 2011 182G which we bought last summer. It really cools the pod sufficiently, so seems wasteful to replace it. Just trying to figure out how to live with the noise. After the past five days in extreme heat and high humidity, I thought I would lose my mind sitting in the camper. A/C too loud to watch TV. Volume on TV maxed and I can't hear a DVD. When the compressor kicks in, it gives our pod a jolt, and we found our sleep being interrupted. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 1:06pm
Doug will probably chime in soon, but I believe that the Coleman Polar Cub (I think that the Mach 8 model will fit the R-Pod, but I'm not positive) is one of the better ACs to replace the Dometic 13.5k BTU standard AC. To be honest, 13.5k BTU is major overkill for a small RV. Besides the noise, another problem is that you need a larger generator to run the big compressor.

The Polar Cub is 9.2k BTU, which is plenty of cooling power. The fan is much quieter than the Dometic 13.5k, and you can run it easily with a 2k watt inverter generator.

The only catch is that it's about $660 to replace what is already a 'functioning' AC unit. That's a bit hard for me to swallow, but if you've got the dough and don't mind, go ahead. You might be able to sell your Dometic used on Craigslist.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 1:31pm
Except for our former 2010 173 and current 2014 178, all of our travel trailers and motor homes (Class A, B and C) have had Coleman units.  All were considerably quieter than the Dometics.  All the roof-mounted A/C units use a 14" X 14" square opening, so either brand will fit your existing roof opening. 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 6:54pm
I talked to Forest River today with a parts order and questioned the Dometic A/C. I was told to call back on Wednesday and speak with Rodney. Supposedly, no one has complained about the Dometic A/C. Amy feels there is something else going on. With regards to other A/C units, we have had motor homes prior to retirement and if we were sitting in the living space, the one in the bedroom ran. At bedtime, the A/C was turned off and living area was turned on. There are other improvements I would like to have installed, i.e. MaxAir Vent in bathroom, so we will probably have to just deal with it for now. Thanks for responding.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 8:26pm
The Mach 8 is the one I would replace mine with, and have seriously considered it.  However, as I mention on page 6 of this thread (link below) I took several steps which has helped with the sound problem.  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1433&title=possible-replacement-for-the-a-c
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 11:45pm
Years of sleeping in a bunk with a reefer 18 inches behind you I think that the A/C in the POD is great. Once I am out that's it till morning. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 11:59pm
My solution- If I really need the a/c, I read (forget the tv), earplugs and melatonin to help me sleep. just sayin'.
2014 178 HRE
The Podyssey
2013 BMW X3 35i
Prodigy RF Brake Controller
br23mat8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:13am
br23mat8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:15am
I have a 178 RPOD. My Hona 2000 will not run the AC. Has anyone installed one of those Easy Start units in their 178 AC and if so where do I order one for my unit; thanks Myrt
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:35pm
offgrid put one in and has said it works well with his Honda 2,000.   I put in one of another design and it works fine when plugged into shore power, but it's not been hot enough to test it with my 3,200/2,000 Champion inverter generator.  We're still getting snow in the mountains today through Thurs.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>