R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWheel-Tire- Fender Upgrade Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel-Tire- Fender Upgrade Mod
    Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:32pm
Wanted to share my progress of upgrading the factory fitted rolling stock to something a bit beefier.

We all know FR is at or arguably above the limit when it comes to the 14" load range "C" tires fitted to our Pods.I highly doubt there is a safety issue involved or we probably would have heard about it.

That said,I prefer the larger safety margin of 20% load capacity "extra" when fully loaded as recomended by Forest River News.

Plus,the factory fitted fenders are poorly installed,not centered over the axle,not the same hight side to side and don't extend below the trailer belt line.A little Dremel action on the curb side to the RDome rail will get it centered and lowerd to match the other side.The other side just needs to move forward and will still have enough clearance for the shore power plug  (I have a 178) so couldn't speak for other models.

The new aluminum fenders I have coming are 2" longer, 32" versus 30" and 3" taller, 15" versus 12".
Width is 10-1/2" which is 1/2" wider than the stock 10".

This will enable the fender to extend below the belt line about 3" front and rear offering added body protection as well as eliminating the "bobbed" fender look.I will be 1" over legal width with these fenders though not too worried about it Clap

Tires are 205-75-15 load range D with single axle capacity of 2150 lbs at 65 psi max pressure and about 1" larger in diameter campared to the stock 205-75-14 tires.

Wheels are 15"x6" ION trailer specific wheels with 2600 lb. capacity each...I like the beefy look Big smile

So here are a couple pics and will post up more when I complete the fender installation.

FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!
Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:43pm
Noice, this is something I want to do down the road as well too!
2014 R-POD 177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:48pm
As of next summer my tires will be @ 6 years and over 15,000 miles, with another 5,000+ on tap next July so I'm seriously considering replacing them before we do that.  I've considered going larger so you've given me more think about.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 9:16pm
Well the tires and their sizes were one of the first things I noticed when talking with the salesman when we bought it.

He said no issues and I believe this to be true.But on the road home looking at the sidewalls flexing in my mirror much more than I'm used to seeing,I wanted to do something about it.

Excessive sidewall flexing is actually having the tire load and unload repeatedly.Of course the safety margin is built in with regards to load ratings to keep people from overloading and thus the lawyers at bay.In other words the tire could probably carry much,much more than stated on the sidewall.

This stated load rating is presumably the "abuse" level the tire can take before failing....I/E continuous flexing while traveling 65mph in the desert in the middle of summer Confused

This "D"rated tire won't even come close to maxing out.
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:12pm

Got started today after work seeing that the UPS man left my fenders on the front porch Big smile.

OMG it looks so much better with larger tires and fenders.I completed one side today.The slide side should be much easier since I don't have to lower the fender as much or deal with the Rdome channel.

You can see in the before pics just how whacky the fenders were mounted from the factory.I used a couple stripes from the front to cover the old fender holes,kinda trying to make some pattern out of what was available.I think they have too many stripes any way and removed the big pod letters previously.

The larger tires also make it look more in proportion and side wall flex is just about non-existent while parked.

Anyway,thought I would share.I'm very happy with the results.

GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:15pm
And here are the after pictures Big smile

GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:26pm
Before and after side view Big smile

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:55pm
Wow! That looks really great! Very, very nice.

Any chance you could post links for the wheels, tires and fenders?

Thanks.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 10:15pm
Sure,

Fenders....http://www.ebay.com/itm/261237098126?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   or same place:www.teardroptrailerparts.com

Wheels.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/271275062171?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT    also available from amazon.

Tires...could be found about anywhere.I like buying from a high Volume E-Bay "Store" with free shipping.

Keep in mind the Fenders don't have to be changed to run the 15" tire,but with the larger diameter,the whacky mounting location from the factory will be more pronounced.

I'm not sure why the links don't highlight for me on this site?
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 10:36pm
Thanks!

I think I found the same wheel/tire combo here:

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/ST22575R15-Freestar-Radial-Trailer-Tire-Load-Range-D-2540-lb-Max-Load_p_585.html#.U-7BFcNdUcs

With free shipping and mounting looks to be about same as Ebay.

To make a link, hilite the url in your text and click the insert hyperlink button (the globe with the chainlink)

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>