R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA $31k generator....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A $31k generator....
    Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 11:22am
We were tossing around the idea of getting a generator to top off the batteries when dry camping. But then we sold the TV and replaced with a new Tacoma that comes with a 110 outlet in the bed of the truck. Last trip we took, when the batteries dropped, we just idiled the truck for 30 minutes and they bounced back up. I think we just saved ourselves 1k.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 12:07pm
Yep. I've got of those #30K+ generators too and it works great. I haven't tried it on a trip yet, but have tried it in the driveway. For Techntrek: the converter accepts the waveform no problem. For a really low battery you can get more amperage with #2 jumpers to the truck battery, but the truck inverter is handy. BTW the Tacoma burns about 1/2 GPH at idle. Lots easier than hauling a gen and gas, but no A/C. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

For a really low battery you can get more amperage with #2 jumpers to the truck battery...

Charging this way 12v-->12v seems much more efficient to me than converting 12v-->120v-->12v?
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Hayduke

Originally posted by CharlieM

For a really low battery you can get more amperage with #2 jumpers to the truck battery...

Charging this way 12v-->12v seems much more efficient to me than converting 12v-->120v-->12v?

It is more efficient though you're not really concerned with overall efficiency in this mode. Just think how inefficient running that 4.0L generator is. You're more concerned with effectiveness. Charging with the jumpers can deliver higher amperage to a depleted battery but the supplied voltage is limited by the Tacoma to around 13.6V - 13.8V. The converter can deliver 14.4V in bulk mode. So it seems it's better to use the jumpers if the battery is really low; otherwise use the inverter/converter combo. Just be aware this is all engineering theory and driveway testing with volt and amp meters so far. I haven't tried it on the road, but I will.  Camp On!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 5:39pm
I measured the current into my batteries from my tow vehicle after a night of typical use this summer.  I have a CPAP that runs on an invertor overnight and an ARB fridge that also ran on 12V overnight, so my use may be more than some.
At idle the next morning my Toyota FJ Cruiser was supplying 13A into my pair of group 31 AGM batteries, through the 7 pin trailer harness hookup.
When placed on the generator the WFCO was putting around 35A in, almost triple the amount. 
I probably have heavier charge wiring in my tow vehicle than most as I installed it myself, either 6 or 8AWG, can't recall which right now.

BTW a clamp on DC ammeter is extremely handy to have when playing with 12VSmile
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 6:05pm
Good data, Bud. I guarantee you have a bigger charge line in the FJ. Most factory installations come with #10 or even #12. The WFCO will do as you said when powered from the inverters built into our Tacomas too, up to a 400W limit, or maybe 25 amps. More than that will require the jumper cables, but they should be #2 AWG. One problem with TV charging is, in an attempt to meet Gvmt MPG requirements, newer vehicles are limiting their charging voltage. My 2013 Tacoma seems to max out at 13.9V or so whereas the converters can do 14.4 for short bulk charges. 

I certainly agree on the clamp on ammeter. I have a Sears model that has a 40A scale for good resolution. I can read high charge/discharge values and still get good resolution of 100 ma. minimum loads.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 8:03pm
I've promoted the occasional use of a TV to charge, for an hour every other day.  Its perfect for the couple that only boondocks for a week once a year and don't want to invest in a genset for that little bit of use.  However, I would only do it with jumper cables, directly connecting battery to battery.  You'll get far more amps that way than by using the converter or Bargeman.

The reason for only doing it every other day is because lead acid batteries accept a much larger and faster charge once they get below 80% SOC.  So getting it down to 50% on day 2 and then taking it up to 80% with an hour charge from the TV (or generator) will get you more amps per gallon of gas burned than by charging it every day.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply