R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHonda generator EU2000 parallel connection - Event Date: 29 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Honda generator EU2000 parallel connection
    Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 11:00pm
I recently purchased two used Honda EU2000I generators  for a very good price. My intention is to use a single unit for camping trips. In the event of a power outage in my home I want to connect the units in tandem for 4kw total power.  I understand there is another Honda generator called the Honda Companion which is designed to connect to the EU2000I and provides a 30 amp connector allowing the full 4Kw to be available from a single outlet. Unfortunately I don't have the Companion.

The generator specifications say I can connect the EU2000I generators together with the phase matching cable for a total of 4Kw, however, I'm not able to get 4Kw from one outlet. The 4Kw is available from multiple 20 amp ckts rather than a 30 amp.

I understand there is a special ($200, rather expensive) adaptor is sold specifically to tie the two generators together in a way to combine outputs for a single 30 amp outlet. I was wondering if anyone attempted to construct the adaptor as a DIY project?  Is it just a matter of connecting a 30 amp outlet to the phase matching cables from each generator through a 30 amp breaker or is there more to it? I would appreciate any input or suggestions. 

Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 5:22am
There are a number of relatively inexpensive homemade solutions to paralleling the EU's floating around the net.
I haven't done it as I have a single EU3000is only.

One thing- and maybe you have considered this- 
You mentioned powering a home-  it gets complicated powering a home as they are 220V and one can't just directly connect a single 120V system no matter what the capacity is. 
That is my biggest complaint of even the EU3000is- it doesn't do 220v, and for the price it should. 

So- I have a separate generator for home powering, it is 8.75kW peak and 7kW running and does 220v.  The 7kW size was necessary to reliably start my well pump.  It will not run the heat pump system but will run everything else.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:59pm
The paralleling ports of the Hondas and Yamahas are directly connected to the 120 volt genset output, just w/o any circuit breaker.  You can buy the banana plugs and make your own full-output outlet (add a breaker to it).  Another option is to make a Frankenstein solution by ganging up the lower-capacity outlets into one bigger outlet (and adding a larger breaker).  Not too hard with a voltmeter - if you know what you are doing.  It is so simple it really irks me that people ask for over $200 for $40 in parts.

Budward, actually you can connect a 120 volt genset to your house IF you know what you are doing.  Turn off all 240 circuits and any multi-wire branch circuits, then parallel both legs in the circuit panel to the single leg coming from the genset.  I've had my EU3000is connected to a 120/240 subpanel in my house (which contains almost all of the 120 volt circuits in my house) several times.  In my case that subpanel doesn't have any 240 circuits even though it has both phases, and I've rewired the MWBC that runs to it so it is no longer two separate circuits.

I've learned through experience that going big isn't the best idea.  I have a 12 kw genset which I'll use for about 2 hours a day during a long outage.  It can run everything but I now only use it for my water heater and well pump.  The rest of the stuff is always powered by my Prius or the Honda genset.  The biggest reason is cost.  24 hours running my big Generac would cost me $126.  24 hours on my Honda is about $12.  My Prius is about $11.  I also get 100% clean output via the later 2, unlike the Generac output which is dirty.  So, the lights don't flicker.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:25pm
Thanks so much for the response guys. Upi answered my question. I will have to put some more thought in the house connections for emergency backup.  For now I'm mostly interested in running the freezer, fridge and some lights. I plan on propane fireplace for emergency heat. I currently have geothermal heat pump and can't imagine trying to run that on a generator.

I am going to make up the adaptor with an RV 30 amp outlet so in the event I need to run the R-pod AC I will be ready. Thanks again for your response. Happy camping!
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:21am
Originally posted by techntrek

Budward, actually you can connect a 120 volt genset to your house IF you know what you are doing.  Turn off all 240 circuits and any multi-wire branch circuits, then parallel both legs in the circuit panel to the single leg coming from the genset.  I've had my EU3000is connected to a 120/240 subpanel in my house (which contains almost all of the 120 volt circuits in my house) several times.  In my case that subpanel doesn't have any 240 circuits even though it has both phases, and I've rewired the MWBC that runs to it so it is no longer two separate circuits.

Well yes you can, if you go to some advance trouble and as you said, IF you know what you are doing. Smile
What I meant, and should have said, is one cannot just easily connect a 120V generator to a house system, ie just back feed an outlet or something as many have tried.  Confused 

My house had no main breaker being built in 1977.   What a PITA that has been devising a way to backfeed without powering everyone on my transformer.
Lets just say the 200 Amp breaker box I added doesn't conform to code, although perfectly safe,  and I will have to undo that when I sell my house some dayEmbarrassed

You are correct about fuel consumption...I  run a small 2kW invertor generator for general lighting/fridge/wood stove fan.    The big one gets fired up if we need to repressurize the water tank and heat water.
At my remote camp ALL power always comes from a generator-  I like to remind people anytime you think the power company is a ripoff try making your own and see what that costs.   I figure about 10x.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 10:08pm
Markie, the easiest solution will be to install a single-phase subpanel which only contains the loads you want to power from the generator.  A transfer switch will allow you to switch between utility power and the genset.

Budward, all true.  Although if I only needed the 120 volt circuits and was conservative with the well & water heater on the big genset, I could come close to 2 times my current utility power bill if I ran 24/7.  I will probably have to undo a few things around my house before I sell it!  All safe of course.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply