R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInitial Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Initial Quality
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:54pm
Ya know, when I was sailing and surveying boats I heard the same things. Imagine a head door sticking on a Hinckley Bermuda 40. Yeah, it happens. I've been at sea with one and seen it happen. My point is, life is wayyy to short to dwell or overcompensate on issues, most of which are easily resolved.

Positive and constructive criticism is great and even valuable to both the new owner like me and probably even the manufacturer, but to continually denigrate a product which obviously has a rather large installed base of satisfied owners seems self serving and fruitless.

That said, the framing wood used in the R-Pod has to be the cheapest, knotty, crappy stuff I've ever seen! Wink

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:08pm
I feel really lucky as my biggest complaint was the decals on my 171 kept peeling. We bought our first pod in 2009 and our second pod just recently. We have been extremely happy but yeah they do use some cheap framing wood!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:11pm
Leo,

I first read that as "my 171 kept peeing" and imagined a giant depends around the pod!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it! LOL
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:26pm
Good one!LOL
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by fwunder

OK you Old Farts Timers, how many miles/months can one expect out of the factory tires?

Fred

Mine are now 5 years old and have over 15,000 miles on them.  Plenty of tread left, although it is worn oddly.  The 2nd ring of tread from the inside, on both sides, has worn down much more than the rest.

General rule of thumb with trailer tires is they will "age out" before the tread wears out.  5-6 years is usually end-of-life if you want to be safe, so I'll replace mine next summer before we head out for another 5-7k mile trip.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Originally posted by fwunder

OK you Old Farts Timers, how many miles/months can one expect out of the factory tires?

Fred

Mine are now 5 years old and have over 15,000 miles on them.  Plenty of tread left, although it is worn oddly.  The 2nd ring of tread from the inside, on both sides, has worn down much more than the rest.

General rule of thumb with trailer tires is they will "age out" before the tread wears out.  5-6 years is usually end-of-life if you want to be safe, so I'll replace mine next summer before we head out for another 5-7k mile trip.

Thanks Doug. Although mine are young (only 11 months), I do have about 10K miles on them and notice a little odd and uneven wear. I really had to stare at them to even notice. I'm thinking they are just inexpensive tires or, perhaps, could use a balancing. Might balancing have something to do with uneven wear?

fred
henksailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 11:04pm
Wow! Looks like I hit on a good topic. Thanks, everyone, for your input on build quality and your take on the state of RV construction. I'm not complaining about my pod, was just wondering if these type of things are to be expected when purchasing a entry level RV. If I were buying a Hinckley Sou'Wester 52 and had these types of issues, I would be more concerned. Although I would also be there throughout the build of a Hinckley to oversee the steps of construction...

From what we saw when we first looked at the R-Pods at Gillette's RV in Lansing, MI, I would have to assume that they borrowed parts from my trailer and several others to prep ones they had sold earlier. An open hole for an interior speaker, top control panel missing from the refrigerator and a few light fixtures and trim screws loose. Most of these things were back in place when we picked it up, so I don't consider them to be issues.

Of the list that I initially posted of problems, the only one that really concerns me are the wires hanging down under the countertop of the slide out. The ends of both wires are stripped and the copper has some crimping on it, so it was connected to something at one time. What, I don't know. They go up into the space between the storage under the sink and the 2 drawers. Not sure what is up there that would require that robust of wiring, the 2-burner stove does not have an electronic igniters. All of the other issues I can fix or have already fixed.
'13 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'14 RPod 177 (Uncle Ed)

2 big labs and one large mutt (our 4-legged crew, hence the crew cab)
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 12:35pm
You're right henksailor. That wasn't a very fair or reasonable comparison.

Those wires are a bit baffling. Perhaps the beginning of a 12v. outlet install? On my 178, there is a chase that runs transverse under the floor from galley side to under shower for wiring and plumbing. Did you check to see if there is any voltage at the wire ends? Does furnace and HW wiring seem intact? Just guessing.

BTW, delivered (crewed) a Hinckley Sou'wester 42 from Freeport, Bahamas to Hilton Head. What a beautiful ride!

fred
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by henksailor

Of the list that I initially posted of problems, the only one that really concerns me are the wires hanging down under the countertop of the slide out. The ends of both wires are stripped and the copper has some crimping on it, so it was connected to something at one time. What, I don't know. They go up into the space between the storage under the sink and the 2 drawers. Not sure what is up there that would require that robust of wiring, the 2-burner stove does not have an electronic igniters. All of the other issues I can fix or have already fixed.

Are the wires individual wires or part of a three conductor cable? The 12 volt wiring is usually individual wires, sometimes color coded. The 120V AC wiring is usually 3 conductor Romex type cable. If Romex, one wire is white, one black, and one bare.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
wildfire305 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 5:22pm
Build quality on ours was good, but I believe two things should not have made it past QC. The windows wouldn't open - caulked shut. Once freed I silicone sprayed the channels and they freed up easily. 
Secondly, on the 179 the refrigerator in the slide has a panel below it that conceals the propane hose and wiring for the slide and sink piping. The propane hose was twisted the opposite direction it needed to be and causing the panel to bend inward when the slide was closed. I had a fear of it breaking the panel off after the third time closing it (it would have if I didn't stop). So I twisted the hose the correct direction so it unfurled correctly and did not cause the panel to bulge. While in there, i secured the wiring properly with zip ties instead of the electrical tape that had failed and allowed the wiring to pop out from underneath the panel.
Other things like the holding tank brackets being to short, and a few plumbing issues I fixed. 

Overall though, I am still satisfied. I recommend going over a new purchase with a fine tooth comb before the first trip out in it and have the dealer make any repairs. If buying used, do the same and work the repairs into your deal.
2005 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8
OLD Tow Vehicle 2004 Honda Odyssey
2015 RP179 "73b"
OLD 2005 Viking Saga 2480ST popup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>