R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeeping refrigarator cold while driving - Event Date: 26 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Keeping refrigarator cold while driving
    Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I don't like how the Indel has a permanent divider in the middle of the interior but I'd live with it.

My Indel has a basket/liner that comes out of the fridge.  The basket has a divider that is removable from the basket.  Happy to take photos if you want a visual.

Also, I agree about the test being a little weird, and the ease with which they could have made it more uniform.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 7:52pm
Odd, the pics on the web sites (Indel's and truckfridge) show a permanent plastic divider.  They mention it as a reason for the faster warmup in the "test".  If it can be removed that is a good thing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 7:56pm
Here is one of the pics.  You can see the gray/brown plastic divider just to the left of the white wire basket frame, just to the right of the orange.

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 8:31pm
The ARB is the similar with the divider...the basket is one unit in the larger space.   The area behind the divider is warmer than the rest of the fridge as it has no cooling plate in it.  They say it is for "dairy".
The compressor is below that area so it isn't full depth.  Maybe 6-8 inches- I'm guessing.

Does the lid pull off on the others like it does the ARB?  I find that a very useful feature when the fridge is sitting in the back of an FJ Cruiser or a Suburban.  Makes placing a full basket possible without pulling the whole fridge out.  Can't do it with the lid on as it will only open 45deg or so before it hits the ceiling in the FJ C.
To remove just lift the lid about 1-2" and pull toward you- it pops right out with a spring loaded hinge system.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 10:00pm
I don't think the lid is removable on the Indel.
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 11:39am
My Indel B lid is not removable.  There are some good photos of the layout of the fridge in this thread on pages 4 and 14:  http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81797-Truck-Fridge-sale-Prices-only-visible-in-checkout/page14

The portion of the fridge permanently divided from the rest is over the compressor/electronics, and is much shallower than the main compartment.  It stays a bit warmer than the main compartment as well.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
Oddpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 12:11pm
Hello, I know this is an old thread but does anyone have any updated info/recommendations on these truck fridges?  It seems our pod's fridge takes 2 days to cool down before a trip (even then has a difficult time keeping things cool) which has me concerned about our upcoming trip from Kentucky to Florida in Oct.  We are a bit nervous about driving while it is still on propane.  We haven't checked out what gauge wire was installed with the TV to the TT but don't have any hopes that it is the thicker size recommended.  We purchased the pod because out daughter has serious food allergies and we need a kitchen wherever we go.  We were tired of having to reserve expensive suites for travel and also having them cancelled on us upon arrival (NYC, Georgia, yes, even Disney jerked us over).  I'm also tired of hauling ice in a big cooler everywhere, especially when we are supposed to have a working fridge already in the pod.  Any new fridge products out there worth looking into?  Thanks, Erin from the Oddpod squad.
Larry, Erin, Lindsay, Caitlyn and Jules the lab
R pod 176
Oddpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 12:32pm
Sorry, I guess this thread is not so old....I must have been looking at someone's join date.  Still, has anyone gotten any of these products since the last post?  Has anyone hooked up a truck fridge to solar panels via marine battery/battery minder setup for dry camping as a backup system?
Larry, Erin, Lindsay, Caitlyn and Jules the lab
R pod 176
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 1:08pm
Not too old, the last post was less than 2 weeks ago.  We like to recycle electrons around here anyway.  Big smile

If your fridge is still under warranty, get it fixed.  It should cool down within hours (assuming you don't put warm drinks in it) and have no problems keeping things cool.  If you aren't within warranty, things could get very expensive.  I'm having problems only with the gas mode on mine, and the dealer said the 8501 model used in the pods is an import - and parts are only imported.  He thinks my gas valve is bad and instead of costing $69, it will cost over $400.  I can buy a new domestically-sourced fridge for $600!  Or one of these Indel portable fridges for less.

Driving while using the propane mode is perfectly safe.  You are correct you'll have problems using the DC mode unless the wiring feeding your 7-pin Bargeman is large enough.  I finally checked out the factory wiring on my Chevy and it is 12 gauge, which is too small.  I just added a 10 gauge which effectively gives me 8 gauge (using the 12 and 10 in parallel).  If this is a job you can't do, any local mechanic should be able to do it in a half hour.

The portable fridges like the ARB and Indel should last 24 hours or more on a deep cycle battery, closer to 55 hours with two batteries in parallel.  So if you can recharge from utility power, a generator, or from your TV in that time frame a solar system may not be necessary.  A 2nd battery is a lot cheaper too.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 2:23pm
Oddpod, you should really have someone look at your fridge.

My (five year old) r-pod is kept in a storage lot without power, so I don't have the luxury of being able to precool the fridge before heading out.  I'll just bring a fridge and freezer full of cold/frozen food to the trailer, load it up, turn on the propane and head out.  With a fridge full of food, it cools down very quickly  (much more quickly than when empty).  So quickly, in fact, that ice cream (or even runnier frozen yogurt) doesn't have a chance to soften up.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>