R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeeping refrigarator cold while driving - Event Date: 26 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Keeping refrigarator cold while driving
    Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 12:07pm
Thank you Charlie.  Great information.
2013 R-pod 176T
TV: 2013 Honda Ridgeline
3.5 L 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 10:42pm
These fridges only use a true compressor, no thermoelectric.  The .87 amps quoted by ARB is an average during a 24 hour test including initial cooldown, starting from and continuing at a continuous ambient temperature.  Actual running amps is higher.

The response I got from truckfridges was basically, "ours are made for big rigs where amperage isn't an issue so we don't really advertise that".  However, someone here sent me a link to docs which indicated an average of .45 amps.  I thank that is optimistically low when compared to the ARB average.

Its a tough call, save a few hundred and maybe get hit with a higher amperage draw, or go with the proven product from ARB but pay for it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:08am
My ARB, I actually measured it yesterday, draws 4A at startup, which drops to around 3.5 after a minute or so, then oddly rises to around 5A after several minutes.  I'm guessing that has to do with pressures in the system.

It is difficult to compare different fridge's actual 24 hour current draw, since there doesn't appear to be a standardized test.   Maybe someone has done one and published it but I haven't found it.

A lower draw compressor is of course meaningless if the insulation is poor and it runs a lot more.

One plus to any of them when actually on the move and planning an overnight stop at a WalMart or truck stop-   they don't have to be anywhere near level like the absorption fridges.   I've spent the night at several that were pretty far off and that was a concern. 
Off level can not only cause poor cooling it can actually ruin an absorption fridge from what I've read.
On our upcoming long trip we plan to travel light in the perishable dept, if it doesn't fit in the ARB it isn't going.  Once we approach a destination where we'll be for awhile then we'll restock the Dometic.

When I built my own interior in the Four Wheel truck camper shell model I bought,  I used a NovaKool marine 12v compressor fridge, no worries about stopping wherever whenever as to off level.  Only draw back is yes on a long term (several days) stop the 12v consumption can be an issue, but then we never did that in the truck camper.
BTW it also uses a Danfoss compressor and still going strong after 10+ years.

What would be really "Cool" (pun intended) would be if someone made an RV absorption fridge that ALSO had a 12V compressor.  Best of both worlds, superior cooling when on compressor with a lower current draw than the present 12V heater/absorption mode, but had the efficient propane when needed.Smile

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 1:41pm
True about the leveling issue, one of the reasons I would be happier with a compressor.  At one point I did find an article online that reviewed a bunch of 12 volt fridges, putting them through a standard test which measured their insulative value, toughness and electrical consumption.  The link below is not the same article and I haven't read it yet, but I found it with a quick search so I thought I would pass it along.  Looks like most of them use the Danfoss compressor except the largest ones.  My goal is to get 48 hours off-grid (a full weekend trip) w/o running the generator so probably the cheapest brand would work fine.  Your average deep cycle battery would come close to 48 hours between LPG detector, lights, water pump, portable fridge, and the Dometic off.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 4:35pm
I read the article I linked to above, and then went looking for info on the Indel B, which is what that truckfridges website sells.  Looks like they are also sold at the equipt1 web site.  They submitted the 50 liter model to Overland Journal for the same testing done on the other fridges, and the results are discussed below.  Unforutnately the full report they link to (both in the thread I link to below and at the equipt1 web site) does not work.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 4:56pm
I believe this is the original fridge review I read a while ago:

Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:08pm
Doug, I went through the same thing when I was looking at fridges.  I was able to find an archived version of the page that wasn't working:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120417130738/http://www.equipt1.com/Company%20Product%20Images/Indel%20B/Downloads/Indel%20B%20Travel%20Box%20Test%20and%20Comparison%20Report.pdf

If that doesn't work for you, I have the pdf save and can send it to you.

-Matt
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:42pm
Link worked, thanks.  I'll read it now.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 5:09am
That expeditionportal test stirred up some controversy as they tested the Indel B at 70ish degrees and the others at 90ish. 
Kind of hard to compare them under different test conditionsWink 
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 12:17pm
I agree that invalidated the test results.  There's no reason they couldn't have stuck the Indel in a bathroom with a space heater to get it to 91.4 F.  I do that with my sweet potatoes to cure them in the fall.

At this point I'm torn on several points.  Save hundreds on the Indel and potentially have a higher amperage draw, or spend the money on the ARB (or equivalent).  I'd love the National Luna but no way I'm spending $1500 when the Indel is $500 and the ARB is a few hundred more.  I don't like how the Indel has a permanent divider in the middle of the interior but I'd live with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>