R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeeping refrigarator cold while driving - Event Date: 26 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Keeping refrigarator cold while driving
    Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by WillThrill

Well I've learned something new on this forum yet again! A compressor-less refrigerator....interesting.

And there are other non compressor cooling technologies. One common one is the solid state thermoelectric cooler. Just DC in. Most frequently found in small food/beverage coolers or computer cooling applications.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
papabear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 10:51am
I live in Colorado and our dealer mentioned that altitude plays a part. For those running on 12V, where are you using yours?
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 11:05am
We've started running our fridge on propane on the road, and even when AC is available when the weather is especially hot, just because it cools the best. I'll precool everything on AC a couple of days before a trip. We use a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer with the transmitter inside the fridge to keep an eye on things.

Cost of propane really isn't really an issue, your fridge will run for weeks on a 20# tank. For RVs with larger fridges, it's your only option other than AC.

Having said all that, I remember all our years of tent camping with only an ice chest. We had no idea what the food temp was but with two growing kids it never lasted long enough to really be an issue.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 11:22am
After having learned how absorption and compressor refrigeration both work, I've discovered a new technology for refrigeration that involves the use of magnets!

See this video for a brief overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlKKKMTA7XM

Apparently, certain metal alloys get hotter or colder when brought into contact with magnets. Once they get colder, for instance, you can pass a liquid over or through them which is then carried to what you want to cool.

Right now, this requires a fair amount of space but could probably be fitted into a house sized refrigerator. But they're working on reducing it down to a pump about the size of a car alternator. At that point, it sounds like it would be a very viable new way of cooling things without a lot of space.

However, it would require electricity to move the magnets, so I'm not sure if it would ever be as good in a RV situation as propane. The amount of energy in your propane tank is many times greater than what is in your batteries. A single deep-cycle marine battery has about the equivalent electrical power as five CUPS of liquid propane. A 20 pound propane tank has a little more potential power than 25 typical marine batteries.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:53pm
Good info Charlie,

If the TV is set up from the factory,I/E "tow package" like on full size domestic trucks,it is possible to travel down the road with the fridge on DC. with no ill effects.

Of course propane is so much more efficient.But nice to have that option should you run out of propane on the way home from your camping adventure,especially  during a cold snap when propane use could be higher than planned.

Now I can't speak for all Models,but my Silverado with the "tow package", has a 12 ga. wire, a dedicated stud pickup with a 40amp fuse Shocked and a 120amp alternator feeding the Bargmans connector.It seems GM was thinking ahead on this one.More power than the Fridge could ever use if needed.
FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by GingerPod

Good info Charlie,

If the TV is set up from the factory,I/E "tow package" like on full size domestic trucks,it is possible to travel down the road with the fridge on DC. with no ill effects.

Of course propane is so much more efficient.But nice to have that option should you run out of propane on the way home from your camping adventure,especially  during a cold snap when propane use could be higher than planned.

Now I can't speak for all Models,but my Silverado with the "tow package", has a 12 ga. wire, a dedicated stud pickup with a 40amp fuse Shocked and a 120amp alternator feeding the Bargmans connector.It seems GM was thinking ahead on this one.More power than the Fridge could ever use if needed.

The answer to the first question is yes if the truck is really wired correctly. This can be checked with a meter comparing the TT battery voltage with and without the truck engine running.

If the truck uses a #12 wire with a 40A fuse you have an excellent candidate for a recall, and a fire. A #12 wire should be protected by a 20A fuse. That wire will melt and catch fire before the 40A fuse ever thinks about blowing. That said, the #12 will drop so much voltage over the 15'-20' to the Bargman that you'll get very little charge. I think many US manufactures use #10 on the charge line and even that's too small. With a 40A fuse the wire should be #8; six would be even better for charging.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 8:26pm

If the truck uses a #12 wire with a 40A fuse you have an excellent candidate for a recall, and a fire. A #12 wire should be protected by a 20A fuse. That wire will melt and catch fire before the 40A fuse ever thinks about blowing. That said, the #12 will drop so much voltage over the 15'-20' to the Bargman that you'll get very little charge. I think many US manufactures use #10 on the charge line and even that's too small. With a 40A fuse the wire should be #8; six would be even better for charging.
[/QUOTE]

Your rite,I believe it is a 10ga wire once I looked more closely at it.

Good point,but the 40 amp fuse came from the factory that way.Hasn't been a recall for this on Silverados.Mine is a 99' model which remained unchanged until 2008.I believe there are around 8,000,000,000, yes 8 million Confused  of those years trucks built.

Just saying what they come equipped with and I haven't heard of any problems.

FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!
Eldon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 3:26pm
I added a second battery, and it works great. Keeps refrigerator cold al day while running, then recharges when I am plugged in at night

Eldon
papabear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 10:09am
SmileYpu guys are all so helpful. Please keep the ideas coming.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 5:12pm
Increasing the size/gauge wiring between the truck battery and the Bargeman is the single best thing you can do to improve the cooling ability of the DC mode of the fridge.  My 2010 Chevy has 12 gauge wiring and the fridge temp starts to rise after just 2-3 hours on the road due to voltage drop.  For instance, with ONLY the load of the fridge (11 amps) run over 20 feet with 12 gauge wire, that is a full volt drop from the battery to the back bumper.  That means some of the load will be carried by the camper battery.  Add in a low battery on the camper and the voltage drop will mean you get nothing from the truck and the battery on the camper will be discharged quickly.

It is on my to-do to run an additional 10 or 8 gauge wire back to the Bargeman.  I'm also seriously considering an ARB portable fridge for our most critical foods (milk, meat, etc) since it uses a DC-driven compressor and uses very little amperage to do it.  It can run for days on a single deep cycle battery.  I have a cheap Coleman Powerchill that uses the Peltier technology (solid state thermoelectric) and it has 2 major disadvantages.  One, it uses 5 amps continuous.  That's about a half-day on a deep cycle battery if there are no other loads.  Two, it only cools to about 40 degrees below ambient.  In a hot car or camper that means it is way too warm inside to keep food safe.  The ARB will maintain safe temps no matter how hot it is ambient.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>