R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 Axle Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 Axle Issues
    Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 9:01am
I forgot I have two brand new 225/15 Goodyear Marathon radial trailer tires made in 2011.  So they are still within the recommended age limit. 
I also forgot my 1999 toy hauler has 6 lug 15" tires and rims....that's what the Marathons were bought for..  Since the toy hauler hasn't moved in years I will use those tires and rims to get this project going at lower cost- if I can get the axle in time.

So I'm waiting on a quote to come in but looks like a new axle will be around $600- as said, the question is how quick can I get it...  
Dexter has an axle plant in Georgia I'd be willing to drive to in order to pick up the axle, if that is allowed, as otherwise it will have to ship freight which can be slow.
I hope to be on the road heading out west in just over 2 weeks so time is a big issue.
If I can't get an axle in time I will swap two 15" 5 lug tires and rims from my enclosed trailer to the rpod, to go on this trip- that way the tires will be within their weight rating even if the axle is not.
That would add some comfort factor back in.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Pod-a-terre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:29am
Ya I called FR yesterday and got a live person. Mentioned that there are a lot of comments in re the 179 and the axle bending  thus eliminating the camber etc. He said they have not heard of any issues. Said he would look into it. Perhaps they will get something to dealers if they see a problem ( hope springs eternal).
I wonder how much it would cost them to just put the heavier axle/tires etc on the 179? Perhaps this is an issue that was not foreseen or analyzed by the engineers when they enlarged /changed the layout/footprint of the new 179?
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:59am
I would think, if you have decided to buy a new axle, and already know a modification might be needed, you should buy whichever brand best fits your needs, regardless of brand. Get the one that doesn't require you to buy new wheels and tires.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 11:57am
If the axles are generally defective or undersized why haven't we heard of problems on the 181s and 182s? They are slightly heavier than the 179.

That said, I've always thought the larger Pods should have been dual axle. They're just too close. If an axle upgrade is planned I would favor 15 inch 6 bolt wheels. No use skimping to save two or three wheels.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:00pm
Don't know why my 179 is having issues-  but since I leave soon on an extended trip and don't have time to have a dealer look at it etc..
I just got back from visiting the local Dexter distributor and have a 5000 lb rated axle on the way and 2ea 15x6 rims to mount my tires I already have. 
His Dexter contact promised the axles will ship on 7/28 and will be here by 7/31!   So that gives me enough time to do all the work and hit the road as scheduled-  I'll deal with whoever, Dexter or FR, when I get back.
I also spec'd the axle to have a 10deg down arm instead of 0, that will raise the trailer a couple of inches, which I wanted to do anyway, and give enough clearance for the larger tires in the fenders.

The 15" tires will have a total rating of 5,080 lbs instead of just 3,520.  The trailer will never be loaded anywhere near that of course but I like overkill when it comes to tiresSmile
2014 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Budward

I also spec'd the axle to have a 10deg down arm instead of 0, that will raise the trailer a couple of inches, which I wanted to do anyway, and give enough clearance for the larger tires in the fenders.

My Camplite came with that mod as part of the "off road" package. "Off road" means more that 50 feet from the cable TV connector LOL
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:51pm
I had an Aliner with the "off road package"- same deal, different angle arms and 14 rather than 13 in tires/wheels.     Just about any normal RV would literally come apart in short order if you did any real offroading despite the clearanceLOL

Check this out for offroad RV'ing-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k
2014 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Budward

Check this out for offroad RV'ing-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k

Budward,

Note this guy not only has two axles, but also two spares. No skimping here, though the wheels are 5 studs!

Charlie
Northern Colorado
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 6:08pm
Bud if I ever camp near a 179 I will come and see if it is you.  With all the things you share that are wrong with your pod, and the troubles you have had with other campers I would be afraid of camping to close due to lightening strikes or something.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 6:23pm
LOL
I did mention on here the nearby strike that took out my fridge control board-  and I wasn't even plugged into external power- the campground had none.

Perfect example of EMP.

Was sure glad I had on my tinfoil hat when that happened..Big smile

2014 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>