R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConnecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port
    Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by schwartzw

I bough a socket last fall and was going to install it but never found a good usable circuit in my fuse box.  Could someone provide details on where to tap in?

thanks,
Bill

We also had a couple of unused circuits in our fuse box.  I installed a 12 volt socket as well as a USB port on the end our dining seat, so the run from the fuse box was only about two feet.  BE SURE to use an ohm meter to get the polarity of the socket and USB port correct.  The side of the socket should be negative, and the center way down inside will be positive.  I didn't do this when I first wired mine up, and I ruined a voltmeter in the process. Angry
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
schwartzw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 4:20pm
Sorry for dragging this out.  I obviously did things wrong last fall when i was playing with it.  How do i properly tie into one of the open circuits?

Just get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Support--circuit-Adapter-Blade-Holder/dp/B00SR5FLG8/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1464207602&sr=1-3&keywords=12v+fuse+tap for the hot side and then use the ground bar for the ground?

2015 R-Pod 182g HRE (SOLD)
2016.5 Lance 2185
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by schwartzw

Sorry for dragging this out.  I obviously did things wrong last fall when i was playing with it.  How do i properly tie into one of the open circuits?

Just get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Support--circuit-Adapter-Blade-Holder/dp/B00SR5FLG8/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1464207602&sr=1-3&keywords=12v+fuse+tap for the hot side and then use the ground bar for the ground?

I didn't use anything quite that fancy, but yes, that will work just fine.  You'll be using the ground bar for the 'neutral' line, not ground (though they're actually the same thing).

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:27am
Ok, now you've got me considering a solar set up for our 178. I really don't expect to be doing much off the grid camping, but like the idea I can keep the battery charged at home without a long extension cord from the house. Also like the idea that it makes battery consumption less tenuous when no AC is available.

So, I'm considering starting with 1 100 watt panel with the assumption I can add another panel later if required. I like this one: HQST 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Flexible Solar Panel   (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017OMTAV6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OFFIBLM4EPOJ&coliid=I180JN9A4WMLPF&psc=1)
as it appears I could mount it on the top of the pod using VHB tape and possibly some caulking. Thoughts comments?

Has anyone been able to splice the charge controller into the zamp connector without a lot of hassle? I think I will probably mount the first panel on the front of the pod so I could also go right to the battery from there, but I don't see any controllers being sold as waterproof. So I'd rather not have to also buy/attach another box to the toe of the trailer if I don't have to. I like this controller Tracer MPPT Tracer1210RN Solar Charge Controller Regulator 12/24V INPUT 10A (http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Tracer1210RN-Charge-Controller-Regulator/dp/B008KWPGS6/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1464264827&sr=1-5&keywords=mppt+solar+charge+controller). Apparently the MPPT controllers do a better job of maximizing the power you get from the cell and this one appears to be priced right and reviewed fairly well.

But if I go through the Zamp connector I'd like to be able to do it with the controller between the connector and battery. This will probably mean mounting the controller in the rear storage area, but that shouldn't be too difficult assuming there's some slack in the wire behind the zamp connector.

If I added a second panel, I think I'd mount it on the rear. My objective being to be able to acquire solar power without too much concern of how the trailer is positioned. I understand I'd lose some efficiency, but would not have to hassle moving panels or repositioning the trailer. I don't expect to have a big appetite for power from this.

From what I can see I would run the second panel in series which would supply (up to) 24 volts. The controller would step the voltage down to 12v as part of its purpose.

Any insight or comments would be appreciated. I think I could do the one panel 100w for about $325 with hardware.

schwartzw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:59am
I have the following items.

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Monocrystalline-Foldable-Suitcase/dp/B00HR8YNK6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Cable-connectors-Copper-Strand/dp/B008JHXF4O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Cut the 50' cable in half giving you one wire with a male connector and one with a female. 

solder the cut ends to the battery tender part (get polarity right).

The connector on the battery tender will plug into the zamp connector on the rpod and the male/female ends of long cable will connect to the leads on the solar panel.

Now you have a portable solar setup for the rpod with a 25' wire.  this lets you put the panels out in the sun even if the rpod is in a shady spot for about $310.   I made a shield/cone thing to protect the controller from the weather (it's attached to the panels) so I dont' have to put it away every time it rains.

2015 R-Pod 182g HRE (SOLD)
2016.5 Lance 2185

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

Ok, now you've got me considering a solar set up for our 178. I really don't expect to be doing much off the grid camping, but like the idea I can keep the battery charged at home without a long extension cord from the house. Also like the idea that it makes battery consumption less tenuous when no AC is available.

So, I'm considering starting with 1 100 watt panel with the assumption I can add another panel later if required. I like this one: HQST 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Flexible Solar Panel   (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017OMTAV6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OFFIBLM4EPOJ&coliid=I180JN9A4WMLPF&psc=1)
as it appears I could mount it on the top of the pod using VHB tape and possibly some caulking. Thoughts comments?

Has anyone been able to splice the charge controller into the zamp connector without a lot of hassle? I think I will probably mount the first panel on the front of the pod so I could also go right to the battery from there, but I don't see any controllers being sold as waterproof. So I'd rather not have to also buy/attach another box to the toe of the trailer if I don't have to. I like this controller Tracer MPPT Tracer1210RN Solar Charge Controller Regulator 12/24V INPUT 10A (http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Tracer1210RN-Charge-Controller-Regulator/dp/B008KWPGS6/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1464264827&sr=1-5&keywords=mppt+solar+charge+controller). Apparently the MPPT controllers do a better job of maximizing the power you get from the cell and this one appears to be priced right and reviewed fairly well.

But if I go through the Zamp connector I'd like to be able to do it with the controller between the connector and battery. This will probably mean mounting the controller in the rear storage area, but that shouldn't be too difficult assuming there's some slack in the wire behind the zamp connector.

If I added a second panel, I think I'd mount it on the rear. My objective being to be able to acquire solar power without too much concern of how the trailer is positioned. I understand I'd lose some efficiency, but would not have to hassle moving panels or repositioning the trailer. I don't expect to have a big appetite for power from this.

From what I can see I would run the second panel in series which would supply (up to) 24 volts. The controller would step the voltage down to 12v as part of its purpose.

Any insight or comments would be appreciated. I think I could do the one panel 100w for about $325 with hardware.

I know that a lot of people do it, especially on motor homes, but mounting solar panels to the roof of your Pod is not necessarily the best strategy for one big reason: shaded panels will produce little to no output.  If you're like us and doing most of your camping in the warmer months, you want your Pod itself in the shade.  If your panels are on top, your output will either be zero or so little as to not be effective at all in recharging your batteries.

That's why, in the OP, I set up the rig so I could easily move the solar panel some distance away from the Pod into the sun.  In order to get anything close to 100 watts from a panel rated for that, it needs to be full sun with not even a little bit of shade on the panel.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:26pm
Thanks for the observation Will, but you will note a large part of the desire is to keep the battery charged at home. Positioning the panel on the front of the Pod will give it max Southern exposure when it sits in my yard.

Also, I don't want something else to carry and assemble when we camp so I'm not considering movable panels. Also they'd need to be secure in bad weather and possibly stolen.

I'd accept the diminished performance with something that should be pretty passive once installed.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Don Halas

Thanks for the observation Will, but you will note a large part of the desire is to keep the battery charged at home. Positioning the panel on the front of the Pod will give it max Southern exposure when it sits in my yard.

Also, I don't want something else to carry and assemble when we camp so I'm not considering movable panels. Also they'd need to be secure in bad weather and possibly stolen.

I'd accept the diminished performance with something that should be pretty passive once installed.

I just wanted you to be aware that parking your Pod where the panels will be in the shade will prevent them from charging your battery.  If you're primarily doing this to keep them charged at home in the sun, that's totally fine.  A 50 watt panel would be more than sufficient for that.

Out of curiosity, why do you not want to run an extension cord out to the Pod to keep the battery topped off?  With as little current as it would take, you could run 500 ft. of extension cords (100 ft. is $19 at my Lowe's) out to it for less money.  You can even get green cords that will blend in with your lawn.  This would likely be far cheaper than going solar.  Alternatively, you could just take the battery out when you're not using the Pod and leave it on a battery maintainer, which is what I do.

Regarding storage, I keep my 100 watt panel stored across the width of the storage area in the rear of our Pod.  It's pretty easy to pull it out and plug it into the charge controller mounted on the back wall of the storage area, but I don't keep as much stuff in our storage area as I'm sure many people do.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 2:36pm
I have mounted 2 panels on the roof of our 179.  DEtailed description and pix can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/56931970807/files/  Look for the one titled "How to installation solar panels on roof.

I did splice into the zamp wires to the battery.  Installed a fuse at the battery.  Controller is located inside the pod alongside the factory installed monitor for battery, tank levels, etc.         uploads/4133/How_To_-_Installation_-_Solar_Panels_on_Roof.pdf

To splice into the zamp wires, look under the frame of the pod.  Just beneath the point where the zamp plug is located, you will find the flex conduit that houses the wires leading to the battery.  Splice into those wires at any point that is convenient.  Be aware that the wires are attached to the battery and are HOT.

The cost for my entire installation for 280 watts of power was about $700.
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:43am
Sailor your panels are mounted similarly to what I am considering.

The Pod will be parked in my driveway where the toe side will get southern exposure.  It's about 100' from a power source so that requires laying two 50' extensions across the driveway.  There are trees near it, but in summer months the pod will get sun most of the day from above.  In the winter months, I'll probably have it packed up and battery disconnected, but if I don't the trees have no leaves and I think the slight angle of the solar panel will assure at least some direct sun.

I'm planning on starting with one panel, the second will be installed if the initial setup works but not quite optimally.  The second panel, like yours would be mounted on the opposite side of the Pod with the intent of making it easier to obtain some solar power without having to position the Pod exclusively for that purpose, or having to move panels around.

Again, this is going to be a nice to have for us, not a got to have.  I have no desire to have something else to store and pack when travelling and something else to worry about setting up or having to move because of weather or have stolen.  The flexible panels appear very capable of being mounted on top of the Pod with VHB tape and perhaps some of the same caulking used on the top of the pod for the other protrusions.  

Thanks for the insights all.  I'll be sure to report more if I approach this.   I failed with my install of the 'Lowes shelf', but that's another discussion (and $100 down the toilet).

Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>