R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConnecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port
    Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 2:03pm
I've got the switch, but it's no longer necessary since I installed the 100w panel.  It's capable of keeping the battery charged and overcoming the parasitic battery drain.  I can even use the fantastic fan during the day without worrying about the state of the battery.  

This may change as the sun begins its seasonal decline, it's too soon to tell but I don't think I'll need to hook up to the house anymore unless I change where the Pod is parked.
ron/roscoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 2:33pm
Do you plug in the 100 watt panel to the port on the outside of the pod?
Ron Rowland
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 4:11pm
No, installation in detail with pictures in previous pages of this discussion.

bigcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 12:45pm
Hi everyone, there is some awesome info on this thread! I'm a newbie to RVing, and solar, so I am trying to wrap my head around how to get started. I have a 2017 179 with a Zamp port installed by FR. We will mostly be boondocking and I prefer solar over a loud generator. I've been looking at the Renogy panels because they get great reviews, and are much more affordable than the Zamp kits. I'm looking for a way to connect the Renogoy (or other non-Zamp panels) to the Zamp port so I can take advantage of the wiring that FR has already done. Is this even possible? On the Zamp site they call out that they replaced the Anderson Connector with a proprietary connector, so am I stuck with having to go with a Zamp panel and connector? 

Many thanks in advance!
Ty
Big Cat
2017 179
Hunter74 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by bigcat

Hi everyone, there is some awesome info on this thread! I'm a newbie to RVing, and solar, so I am trying to wrap my head around how to get started. I have a 2017 179 with a Zamp port installed by FR. We will mostly be boondocking and I prefer solar over a loud generator. I've been looking at the Renogy panels because they get great reviews, and are much more affordable than the Zamp kits. I'm looking for a way to connect the Renogoy (or other non-Zamp panels) to the Zamp port so I can take advantage of the wiring that FR has already done. Is this even possible? On the Zamp site they call out that they replaced the Anderson Connector with a proprietary connector, so am I stuck with having to go with a Zamp panel and connector? 
Many thanks in advance!
Ty

Yes there is. I have a 120 Watt of another company. The dealship where I bought my trailer had zamp plugs with about a foot of wire, and my solar panels came with alligator clips to plug into the panel or an eyelet plug to attach to the panel. The dealership snipped of the eyelets on the one plug and spliced the zamp plug onto it. Works like a charm. I love my solar panels when camping. You don't have to be as conscious of using lights at night or the radio for a few hours to have tunes outside.
schwartzw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 4:27pm
Here's my original post on how I did mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Monocrystalline-Foldable-Suitcase/dp/B00HR8YNK6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Cable-connectors-Copper-Strand/dp/B008JHXF4O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Cut the 50' cable in half giving you one wire with a male connector and one with a female. 

solder the cut ends to the battery tender part (get polarity right).

The connector on the battery tender will plug into the zamp connector on the rpod and the male/female ends of long cable will connect to the leads on the solar panel.

Now you have a portable solar setup for the rpod with a 25' wire.  this lets you put the panels out in the sun even if the rpod is in a shady spot for about $310.   I made a shield/cone thing to protect the controller from the weather (it's attached to the panels) so I dont' have to put it away every time it rains.

I believe it's still the right connector for you.

Bill

2015 R-Pod 182g HRE (SOLD)
2016.5 Lance 2185
bigcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 5:54pm
Thank you schwartzw and Hunter74! 

@schwartzw, do you by chance have any photos showing how the tender part connector is soldered to the cable ends?
Big Cat
2017 179
schwartzw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 11:48am
You can't see much since the connections are taped up but here's what it looks like now. so this won't help sort out the polarity.

In this one you can see the plastic cone I made to protect the electronics from rain.  the panels and wiring is all waterproof already.

2016.5 Lance 2185
bigcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 12:29pm
Awesome! Thanks @schwartzw. Do you have tips or advice on how to sort out the polarity? 
Big Cat
2017 179
schwartzw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 1:16pm
Stick a volt meter on the connector on the side of your camper, figure out which is the hot connector.  then wire the cables up so your hot pin lines up with that one.

2016.5 Lance 2185
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>