R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI made an expensive mistake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I made an expensive mistake
    Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 5:22pm
Thanks CharlieM.  I think your probably right.  Im going to just order another converter and be done with it.  Im ready to go camping...haha
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 5:23pm
Do the ceiling lights work at approx. normal brilliance? Are they LEDs or incandescent? If yes, the pump should work too. If not, you may be right about the battery. Do you have a voltmeter?
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by spacemonkey

yes the pump fuse is fine.   my battery may be weak too since the convertor isnt charging it.  Im getting some noise from it but it wont build up water pressure. 

Since the pump is 12V it probably was not effected. Can you jump another battery to your pod's battery or put a charger on it?
Cary
2014 RP-177
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by spacemonkey

Thanks CharlieM.  I think your probably right.  Im going to just order another converter and be done with it.  Im ready to go camping...haha

I'm a EE and could easily attempt the repair........but I wouldn't. I really like the PD much better. You're on the right track. I'd rather go camping too. Smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado
spacemonkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 10:28pm
yes the ceiling lights work.  they are incandescent.  I tested the battery with my voltmeter and its putting out 12.5 volts.  maybe this is just an unrelated bad pump.  I will get it figured out.

Now for the TV.   So sorry to keep posting up more stuff, but you guys have been so much help so far.

I pulled the TV apart, and I think your right about the fuse being blown.  Lets hope that is all that is wrong.

Below are some pictures.

Here is the circuit board where the power cord came into the TV.  I removed the cord from the white connecter at left in order to expose what I believe is the fuse that is blown.  It says T2.5A 250V on it.   Where can i get a replacement like this?   Radio Shack?

I did a continuity test on it and got nothing.  I have never tested a fuse of this sort before, but I assume the way I did it in the picture below should show continuity if the fuse was still good?

In this picture you can see what looks like a little black soot around the fuse.  Kind of a dead giveaway to me that this is likely my problem.  Whats your thoughts?

I am going to give this a whirl.  I understand soldering.  I have soldered electronics (mostly wires and pots) on electric guitars, but have never done anything on a circuit board.  Ill see if i can find some good youtube vids on it too.   Cant hurt to try.  If i dont...the TV is toast anyways and I will still have to buy a new one.  If I succeed, then i saved myself several hundred bucks on a new one.  I just need to find the fuse.  Do yall think radio shack will have them?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 11:45pm
I believe that is a slow blow fuse, 2.5 AMPS, 250V. That also explains the blow out black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MULTICOMP-MST-T2-5A-250V-FUSE-SLOW-BLOW-8-335MM-LOT-OF-5-NNB-/151160015830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2331d6cbd6

There might be a cheaper one elsewhere.

Anything else look damaged?
Cary
2014 RP-177

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 11:51pm
Cary
2014 RP-177
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:27am
If it was me-   I'd jump that fuse with a very small wire, soldered across the two spots you measured at.
If the TV works then hunt down the proper fuse,  if the strand burns out or the tv doesn't work, stop there and head to the trash can.

Again this is what I'd do...YMMV and all that.Cool
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Budward

If it was me-   I'd jump that fuse with a very small wire, soldered across the two spots you measured at.
If the TV works then hunt down the proper fuse,  if the strand burns out or the tv doesn't work, stop there and head to the trash can.

Again this is what I'd do...YMMV and all that.Cool

I tend to agree with Budward. If the TV works the fuse protected the rest of the components and you are lucky. Use a small piece of wire like a single strand from a larger stranded wire. If it doesn't work nothing lost.

Replacement fuses are available, cheaper than Ebay, from Amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/Mounted-Miniature-Square-Micro-T2-5A/dp/B009PMJ082/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1405946333&sr=8-6&keywords=t2.5a+250v

or Newark:
http://www.newark.com/multicomp/mst-2-5a-250v/fuse-pcb-2-5a-250v-slow-blow/dp/95M6782?mckv=s5hvSBoxr|pcrid|45121758995|plid|&CMP=KNC-G-SKU-MDC

However, having had the TV in my 172 and judging by comments from others, I wouldn't invest a lot in it. It was a 7 or 9 inch under counter piece of junk. That was the only option I regretted ordering with the Pod. I'm not sure if the TV in the 179 is the same or the 19" model.

The water pump remains a mystery. If you hear noise it might be running. Check for a clogged filter, broken or disconnected hose. Loose hose fittings have been reported which would let the pump suck air.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 2:12pm
Let me quote from a new post by Obewan on RV.Net.

"
Was gone from the camper for a couple days and missed all the excitement! Neighbors tell me the campground experienced a large electrical surge. They lost tvs, small appliances, AC units, etc.. I lost NOTHING! Surge protector apparently worked as designed and I'm very glad I spent that money! Already recouped the cost in not having to replace anything!

Smiling in an AC camper while I watch tv!!!"

They had the plugin 30A SurgeGuard. 'Nuff said.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>