R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI made an expensive mistake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I made an expensive mistake
    Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 3:04pm
It would be very easy. You would need to get a 30AMP relay, most automotive stores would have one, and a inline 30AMP inline fuse.

Wire the normally open contacts on the relay through the 30AMP in line fuse from the battery and to the slide wire. Wire the relay's coil to the 20AMP (or smaller) on the panel.

Instead of the fuel pump the load would be the slide, 30. 86 would be from the out put of the panel.  85 would be ground. Everything should work like normal.
Cary
2014 RP-177
spacemonkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:47pm
cap-n-cray, thanks for the thought.  Im no expert with electrical and wouldn't have a clue how to do that...haha. 

Budward, i dont know how to wire it in parallel either... Big smile

I will go get some 20amp fuses and try, but Im thinking my best bet may to be just return the PD and replace it with a WFCO and call it done.  I dont really want to have to be changing out 20amp fuses to 30 amp fuses just to run my slideout 
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:47pm
Do you have a spare fuse location, you could parallel two 20A fuses to run the slide in a pinch.
 Sort of like WFCO did to provide reverse protection with two paralleled 40A fuses.
  You could even try 2 paralleled 15A fuses but they usually don't balance exactly so they may blow if it really draws 30.

Interesting that the Charge Wizard button is on the fuse board, on the one I did it was a wired remote, which I like better anyway since you can mount the remote in a convenient spot to work it and be able to see the status LED. 
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by spacemonkey

ok, i went and looked at the wire.  It is in fact #10 wire going from the fuse board to the motor.  I also looked at the motor.  It had a sticker on the back that says 18 to 1 ratio, max oper 30 amp, 12VDC.  It is made by venture mfg of dayton ohio

Oh, and yes the model PD i have is the 4655

Good news on the wire. I guess I'd start with a 20A fuse and be prepared to change to 30A in the field. The slide probably doesn't really draw 30 Amps except for a start up pulse or if it's jammed.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:39pm
One way around the 30AMP fuse would be to use a relay. Have the 20AMP fuse power a 30AMP relay with a 30AMP inline fuse on the relay to power the slide out.

Just a thought...
Cary
2014 RP-177

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:36pm
ok, i went and looked at the wire.  It is in fact #10 wire going from the fuse board to the motor.  I also looked at the motor.  It had a sticker on the back that says 18 to 1 ratio, max oper 30 amp, 12VDC.  It is made by venture mfg of dayton ohio

Oh, and yes the model PD i have is the 4655

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by spacemonkey

yeah, i suppose i can give them a call.

The new pd board has a button on it for the charge wizard that the old board did not have.  There is a 4 wire harness that connects the the fuse board to the converter via a 4-pin header on both components.  I suppose if i did not change out the fuse boards, the charge wizard would not work correctly!

This would tell me the Wizard need some control and/or sensors on the fuse board. Try to use it until you can't. I think the 20A fuse will probably run the slide.

Unfortunately the response from the PD guy is typical. Never mind they advertise and sell this unit as a replacement for the WFCO. Unfortunate, but not surprising.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:11pm
Here's my shot, remembering I never had a slide in my Pod:

First, did you order the 55 amp replacement for the WFCO 8955? I'm surprised at the 30A battery protection fuses.

My Camplite has a Schwintek slide and it is fused at 15A in the PD power panel. I don't know what slide FR is using, but the Schwintek is popular and common. It would help if you can find documentation on the slide, but sometimes that's difficult. Maybe a current owner can jump in and help.

A fuse should be sized to protect the wire, not the slide. The slide should be wired with #10 wire, maybe #12. #10 is usually protected by a 30A fuse; #12 by a 20A fuse. A smaller fuse will always protect a larger wire, e.g.  a 20A fuse will protect a #12 or #10 wire. If you can determine the wire size connected to the slide terminal in the original installation that may give you a clue.

My guess, and hope, is FR wired with #10 for the slide and protected it with a 30A fuse. This will minimize voltage drop and is good. However, I suspect the slide never draws 30A. In the absence of any better info I would connect the slide to a position 3-12, for example 3,4, or 5 and not the low current slots. Fuse it with a 20A fuse. If you can accommodate the rest of your circuits without using slots 1-2 I would not use them. Try to maintain the original order, or at least the fuse sizing associated with the original functions, to make sure the wiring is adequately protected. I don't know what size wire was used on those 10 and 7.5 Amp circuits.

For your protection I'd carry a few 30 Amp fuses just in case the slide really needs more than 20A on occasion. For those short times the #12 wire will be OK. If by chance the wire is #10 you'll be fine forever.

This is a bit difficult by remote control and without a Pod at hand, but I think we've got it. That said, we know that no two Pods were built the same anyway. Keep us informed and don't hesitate to ask the next question. Smile Smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:11pm
just spoke to PD and they were actually of little help.  The guy  i spoke with didnt have a clue as to how to remedy the situation.  He said that the pd board is defiantly 20 amp max fuse rating. I asked about using the WFCO fuse board and he told me that the charge wizard would not work correctly without the new board.   So im kind of at a standstill of what to do at the moment.

How do i know what the amp rating on the slideout motor is?  just curious if it actually draws more than 20 amps.  Can  just use a 20 amp fuse?

He actually suggested that If i need a 30 amp fuse that It may be a good idea to return the PD and get another WFCO

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:48pm
yeah, i suppose i can give them a call.

The new pd board has a button on it for the charge wizard that the old board did not have.  There is a 4 wire harness that connects the the fuse board to the converter via a 4-pin header on both components.  I suppose if i did not change out the fuse boards, the charge wizard would not work correctly!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>