Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe journey starts - Event Date: 19 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: The journey starts
    Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:39am
Being new, I'm not too sure how this forum works regarding replies.  I hope this one reply reaches everyone who responded to my initial post.  

I just want to say 'Thank You' to everyone who took the time to say hello and to offer their great advice.  I heard that the Pod community is a great place to belong.  Now I begin to see how true that is.  We are looking forward to meeting many of you along the way.  

You guys will definitely smooth out the bumps along the way.  Big smile
Its the journey
nlrstate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 10:04am
Just an fyi...if you are traveling a long stretch and just need a quick free place to spend the night with no hookups, many of the Walmarts permit trailers and rvs in the parking lots for an overnight stay.  You can download the Walmart app (it's $3 but well worth it) which will locate the closest Walmarts for you (great for grocery shopping), and it will also let you know if it permits overnight parking.  
Nancy & Dwight
2015 rpod 178
2013 Tahoe LTZ
Livingood49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:40pm
Hi Nancy &Dwight,

If you do a search on 'Flying J' you can download their locations nationwide.  They are a truckers stop that also accomodate RV's.  You can do an overnight, use the showers, and do your shopping courtesy of the 'J'.  Much more protected than a Walmart parking lot.  Hope it helps.  :)
Its the journey
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:31pm
After years of using Walmarts and truck stops, I much prefer truck stops, even if they don't have a dedicated RV area (that said, we did use a Walmart just last week).  No matter what web sites or apps say, we always go in and speak to someone to see if it is ok and where they prefer RVs to park.  Walmarts either want you at the far edge of the main parking lot, or around back.  Truck stops usually don't want you to park with the big rigs which is fine with me.  I hate the smell of diesel exhaust.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 11:09pm
Hey Tech
The Pilot Flying J is a truck stop that welcomes RV's for overnights with showers and good food.  You can download their locations throughout the USA at www.pilotflyingj.com.  Much more secure than Walmart.  Hope it comes in handy for you.
Its the journey
M3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 4:34pm
Not sure if you have gone to the Asheville area yet, but check out Moonshine Creek in Balsam, a little southwest of Asheville. Also, Mountain Stream is an outstanding little campground in Marion NC about 40 minutes east of Asheville. In both campgrounds ask for creekside sites. I have stayed at both of these and they are nice. Of course, my humble opinion.
Mary and Tucker (my sheltie)
2015 r-pod 178 (lilypod)
2013 Toyota Tacoma

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 7:02pm
Hi Mary,
Thanks for the heads up.  Will definitely check it out.  Smile

Its the journey
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:20am
Livinggood

welcome and thank you for your service to our country!
Texman
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:54am
Just to add, and I know it's been mentioned before, but AllStays proved invaluable to us on our last trip => http://www.allstays.com/

During our 26 day road trip we did not have reservations for 8 nights in five different states (Illinois, Nebraska, Utah, California, South Dakota, Iowa and Indiana). These were all one night stops. We were lucky and found very nice state parks each of those nights. We were incredibly lucky that we found space in Utah, CA and Iowa as these were Fri. or Sat. night stops. Summer weekends nights in popular parks without res. is a real gamble. We don't like traveling after dark and really like to explore every new place, so we almost always would quietly break camp at sunrise or slightly before.

We always called ahead to see if spaces were available. I can tell you, though, that's not completely reliable. We learned pretty quickly that Camp Hosts can be your best friend with a handshake,  compliments and friendly conversation - "you catch more bears with honey, than bees". They also usually know what spaces may have opened up with last minute cancelations.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:58am
You're welcome Texman.  I had to go back in my posts to see where I had mentioned anything about the service.  HA!

I appreciate the tip 'o the hat.

Livingood49
Its the journey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>