R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrakes.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes.....
    Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 12:27am
So we sold the suburban and replaced with 2014 Tacoma. I spent a number of hours under the dash of the Tacoma and taking off the kick panel to find the "prewired" harness for the digital brake unit, to no avail. I could not find the thing. So either it was not wired or they have just done a great job of hiding it 

But regardless, using the seven pin connector, I should still have rpod brakes working in concert with the Tacoma's right? I just won't have the extra braking from the eternal unit......right? 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 1:31am
Gotta have the brake controller to run the pod's brakes.  Otherwise you will only have the TV's brakes.  Even w/o a prewired harness, it shouldn't be too hard to create the 4 connections you need.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 1:35am
I don't think so. Unless your Tacoma has a brake controller already.

LMGTFY Big smile

Cary
2014 RP-177
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 5:38am
    Check with a Toyota dealer I think all Tacoma's may have the wire harness by the back bumper from the factory. Sorry My mind is not with it right now you were talking about brake controller harness.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Jdub

So we sold the suburban and replaced with 2014 Tacoma. I spent a number of hours under the dash of the Tacoma and taking off the kick panel to find the "prewired" harness for the digital brake unit, to no avail. I could not find the thing. So either it was not wired or they have just done a great job of hiding it 

But regardless, using the seven pin connector, I should still have rpod brakes working in concert with the Tacoma's right? I just won't have the extra braking from the eternal unit......right? 

I have a 2013 Tacoma dual cab short bed. If you have the 7 pin connector you are halfway there. You have to add a brake controller. The under dash connector is there, but it's really hard to find. I almost gave up too, but knowing what I was looking for helped. Toyota really worked to hide it. Look for pictures and videos on the web. As a last resort ask a dealer. It's there since early 2000's I think. BTW I recommend the Prodigy P3 with their adapter cable for the Tacoma. Easy to install and use and the digital display shows you if and how it's working at a glance.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
MoggerPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 8:52am
On my 07 Tacoma with auto trans, the connector was taped to a harness next to the parking brake mechanism. If you buy a controller with a Toyota specific harness, the connector on that harness will give you a clue as to what you are looking for under the dash.
Brad & Laura B.
Durango, CO
2014 RP177HRE
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 8:53am
Go to you tube, search "toyota tacoma brake controller" There will be a video by "etrailer.com"Watch it. It has all the information you need.
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 9:00am
Originally posted by CharlieM

I have a 2013 Tacoma dual cab short bed. If you have the 7 pin connector you are halfway there. You have to add a brake controller. The under dash connector is there, but it's really hard to find. I almost gave up too, but knowing what I was looking for helped. Toyota really worked to hide it. Look for pictures and videos on the web. As a last resort ask a dealer. It's there since early 2000's I think. BTW I recommend the Prodigy P3 with their adapter cable for the Tacoma. Easy to install and use and the digital display shows you if and how it's working at a glance.

I seriously spent at least 4 hours upside down yesterday, running my hand up and down every wiring set I could find, and I could not locate that connector. I took off the kick panel and it wasn't there either. I even took it to the dealer on Saturday for help and they basically told me to screw off. I bought the controller and cable, but I am stuck if I can't find the connector. We were planing a week in the mountains next week but I don't want to take the pod if it ain't got no brakes. We do have a friction bar on it......
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 9:02am
Originally posted by furpod

Go to you tube, search "toyota tacoma brake controller" There will be a video by "etrailer.com"Watch it. It has all the information you need.
trust me, I watched every video possible on the net yesterday.....told me where to look, but I still can't find it. 
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 9:25am
I understand your frustration. As I said, I almost gave up myself. My connector was taped behind a much larger bundle and was in no way visible. I only found it by feel, but it was there. I didn't have to remove any panels.

BTW, the response from your dealer is disappointing, but unfortunately, not surprising.

You definitely need the trailer brakes working before you travel. As a last resort you can wire the controller into the truck harness without the connector. All the wires are there and you only need four of them. If you are somewhat familiar with electronics and have a voltmeter you can do it with some patience. Good luck.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>