FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProud Owner of New 177 and First Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proud Owner of New 177 and First Mods
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 6:27am
Originally posted by WillThrill

Thanks for the advice Budward! That sounds like a really simple and safe solution. I'm guessing that you added a cutoff valve to the line going to your external fuel tank for when you want to use the internal tank.

Not needed IMO- simply unplug the external line, turn on genset fuel valve and you are running on the internal tank. 

BTW my advice to anyone looking at gensets- if you have a pickup and don't mind running the generator in the bed-   I'd buy the EU3000is.  Not a lot more money considering you have without a doubt enough power to run it all.   If you have a helper to set it out and back in even better.

PLUS- I really like the switch that lets one select the eco-auto speed mode or leave it running full speed. 

Yamaha missed the boat leaving this $2 switch off IMO.   If it is really hot and the AC will need to run a lot just leave it on full speed- no struggling sounds as the genset has to ramp up.

If I go back to towing with a pickup someday I probably will switch to my EU3000is.

Inspecting the inside of the Yamaha reveals also they could have gone to little more design effort and probably squeezed another gallon of fuel capacity in there without increasing the outside size.
A $2 switch, $2 worth of additional plastic in the fuel tank and Yamaha would have really had a winner with the EF2400iSHC!
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 7:15pm
We just finished our first camping trip. What a blast! Everything in the Pod worked perfectly, and we had a great time. We went to the Coeur d'Alene National Forest and camped in the Kit Price campground right next to the north fork of the Coeur d'Alene river. The water was cold but made for an invigorating swim (for me; my wife wimped out).

This trip did teach me something. I will DEFINITELY be modding the Yamaha 2400iSHC to take an external fuel tank. The generator would run our air conditioner, with a slight pause (1.5 seconds) when the compressor kicked on, for about 4-5 hours. That's fine for an afternoon but not if you need AC to sleep at night, which we usually do at home. I know, we're spoiled, but that's why we got the generator in the first place! If not for the AC, my Renogy 100 watt solar panel would keep us charged up with no problem at all.

Speaking of which, with the Battery Tender plugs I picked up at Camping World for $8, I was able to connect my solar charge controller to the Zamp solar port. I'll be mounting the charge controller at the rear-left of the exterior storage and posting some pics shortly.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 1:18am
I'm really surprised it only lasted 4-5 hours.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 5:39am
It is disappointing Yamaha didn't do a better job on the fuel capacity- I mean they kinda market that unit as able to start most RV aircons- but then it won't run one long enough to get a good nights sleep. 
I mentioned above it appears they could have squeezed more capacity in with better design.    Of course FR would have been fine with an 11K AC on the rpods too instead of the 13.5K, maybe even a 9k...thereby needing less fuel.
2014 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 5:01pm
Yes, I have wondered why the 13.5k ACs are so popular with so many small travel trailers. With the stock AC on the Pod, you could literally hang meat inside after the compressor has been running for a half hour in the middle of the summer. Not only would a 9k or 11k be easier to start, it would use much less fuel too.

That being said, using Budward's mod should make it easy for me to hook up one of my 5 gallon gas cans to the Yamaha and run the AC most of the day off one fill up.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 5:13pm
I think FR buys the 13.5k units in such bulk they get a very low price on them-  just stick 'em on everything and never mind what would be a better engineered match.Cool
2014 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 11:46pm
Ongoing discussion of replacement options for the A/C here (below), with my latest favorite the Coleman Mach 8 (9 k btus).

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

Speaking of which, with the Battery Tender plugs I picked up at Camping World for $8, I was able to connect my solar charge controller to the Zamp solar port. I'll be mounting the charge controller at the rear-left of the exterior storage and posting some pics shortly.

I new hear as well and was looking into the solar options.I just purchased the same Renogy solar kit as you did except I went with the 50 watt model.

I plan to utilize the factory Zamp port as well,but I would be careful using a Battery Tender plug at that port.The Battery tender Plugs are only 16ga wire and could very easily overheat since the 100 watt system could easily pull close to 6 amps if the batteries were really low.

The Pod itself runs 10ga from the port all the way to the front battery mount area,so it's already quite a distance from the controller which will be at the rear.

I think Zamp rates the POD to 100 watts max anyway in it's current configuration regardless of Solar kit manufacture.

I went with the 50 watt unit as a safety margin and recommended for a group 24 battery.I belive a group 27 and larger can handle more.In any case I would get the 10ga quick disconnect Zamp port plug so the weak link would be eliminated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057ZQJ12/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am defiantly no expert ,but spotted that in your post and thought I would share my thoughts on the subject.
FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 12:57pm
I hadn't really thought about the Battery Tender cables being 16 gauge. However, since the cable is so short, and only 7 amps or less of current will be passing through it, it should be fine.

If you refer to this website, it states that 16 gauge wire 15 feet long can handle 5 amps of 12 volt power. Since the cable is only 2 feet long, it should easily be able to handle 7 amps or less.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

Thanks for the warning though! I'll still keep an eye on it just to be sure.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12