R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane Tank
    Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 1:39pm
Is there enough room to do a 30 pounder? that would give you 1/2 more duration anyways. One of the things I noticed when we saw our first vibe was the way the propane tank and batterylayout didn't lend itself to adding more for boondocking..
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 9:24am
I think you could build a vented box for the second tank and put it in the large storage compartement under the bed of the Vibe. if you put the box on the rear wall of the vibe you would even install an access hatch. You might even be able to install a dual regulator so that you could have both tanks hooked up at the same time. 

Another option it to put rack on the back of the Vibe to store the tank on. Not a fan of propane stored on the back of an RV but lots of class C and B campers do it. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 8:37am
Milk crates are just right for 20# propane bottles.  It's pretty hard to tip one over in a milk crate.  Personally, I'd put it in a crate and put it on the floor of the pod if the back of your truck won't work.  Ventilation is good, but the back of your truck isn't air tight and neither is the pod.  There is theory and there is reality.  In reality, you are very unlikely to get in any trouble in either location.  Of course in theory you could blow up most of North America.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 8:38pm
Can the cover on the bed be partially opened (soft vs. hard)?  If it can I'd go with the truck bed.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 3:23pm
    That is not a option with the Vibe the V nose takes up the space where normally a travel trailer would have there propane tanks located. The Vibe has a small compartment with a door with room for one 20 gal. propane tank. The compartment has sides but no bottom for ventilation, the tank sits on a rack. Our truck has a cover over the box that may get to hot, I don't what to do. I thought of in the large storage area in the back, I could build a compartment and cut ventilation openings in the floor similar to the battery, that too is in a compartment in the camper.  Now if more people bought Vibes someone have this figured out Wink this is a big advantage in owning a r-pod they are so popular there are so many creative talented campers.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:35pm
I think the only safe option is to get your rack converted to hold 2 tanks.  Inside the vehicle or pod will get too hot and cause it to vent.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 11:51am
  Today at Camping World we bought a Worthington propane tank with a built in gauge that is interesting. It works with a built in float something new to me. I have a question as far as storing it since we only have a place on our camper for one tank does anyone have any suggestions how we can travel with a extra tank? We have a large storage compartment but no ventilation the compartment for our current tank only has the space for a 20 lb. tank. We are using more propane now because our refrigerator is only 2 way it doesn't fully operate with 12 volts as our r-pod did, we miss that option.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12