R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater leak while driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water leak while driving
    Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:10am
Well, 15 nights in our 2013 177 so far and no issues with systems or appliances so that's good. 

Fighting water leaking issues though. Seems to be only when i am driving in the rain. Substantial water coming into the baggage area under the rear bed. Checked all seals, re caulked windows etc including removing and re sealing the spoiler. 

I've pulled the trailer apart and spent many many hours trying to find the source. Haven't gotten anywhere. 

We purchased the trailer this spring from a couple who claimed to have only used it a couple weeks total with no issues. 

My local dealer is not much help and I'm out of the one year warranty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end. This is our first trailer and a big purchase for my girlfriend and I and it has been so disappointing seeing the on going water issues and subsequent damage to the cheap paper veneered interior wood like panels, down along the floor. 

Thanks in advance.

Austin 
Just Purchased a 2013 Rpod 177!
-Austin
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 8:03am
2 ideas not particularly based on experience…
1. It's not from the rain - and the area isn't far from the hot water heater and other water lines. Could it be plumbing? Might want to pop the plywood under the mattress and check.
2. It is the rain - get out your hose and start spraying while your partner checks for leakage.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 9:16am
To tell you the truth, I expect that the water is coming up from the road as opposed to down from the roof.

You've said that you've checked the hatch seals, but how about fully replacing them?  Are you sure that the seals around the slide are well fit and sealing properly?  Have you checked around pipes (like where the lines for the low point drains drop through the floor?

Finally (and I say this only because it happened to me) - are you sure that the water is coming in at the rear of your trailer?  Are you sure water isn't migrating down the hallway?  Have you checked the seal at the bottom of the door?
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 9:22am
Some RV places can do a pressure test from inside out and see where air is leaking out = water going in from outside. They pressurize the trailer and then spray water on outside surface and see where air is escaping from inside the trailer. If you can't find your leakage that might be a way to go... good luck.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
MontanaPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 11:31am
Thanks for all the replies. I've got my work cut out for me this morning!
Just Purchased a 2013 Rpod 177!
-Austin
jarpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:25pm
montanapodder

i purchased a 2010 175 with water damage on the left rear wall (as you face the bed) below the window. i could stick my finger through the wall at the dealers . yes i got a discount , when i got home i immediately  sealed all outside  joints with dicor then did the rear window but only the top and partial sides  with silicon . when i tore the damaged panel out and replaced the wall studs i left it open so all the wood could dry out before repaneling it and during this time we had storms and while inside  i noticed i still had a leak around the window on the bottom left corner so in the down pour of rain i went ourtside and  put  silicon in that area which stopped the leak then after the rain quit and everything was dry i pulled the silicon off and redid it to insure i had a good bond.  the leak   had been  there since the camper was built. and the wood studs were rotten and soft like a sponge its all good now . might want to check the bottom corners of the window if you have one. hope this helps
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 5:15pm
    I hope you have made some progress today in finding your water leak. Are the latches on the storage compartments holding the doors tight against the seals. I hope you spraying it with a hose will help you in finding the leak. Hope to when find you find it, that it easy to fix.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 8:31pm
Also , pressurize the water system, and look for water leaks under the hot water heater. Mine leaked from the FIRST HOUR of ownership, but I was already 50 miles away from the dealership when I discovered it.

Ultimately, it was tracked down to being a square ring seal for the electric element in the water heater. It would slowly drip when the system was pressurized, and the water always ended up inside the rear cargo area. Wet sawdust and a little puddle. The ring was twisted likely from the factory. I was very disappointed the selling dealership didn't find it during delivery inspection.

The O-Ring was an easy fix and I haven't had a problem since.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 10:15pm
During heavy rain, at highway speed, I'll get water between the panes of the front windows.  One more area to check.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 5:30am
Leaks can be very frustrating-
I had a leak around the improperly installed rear window in my new 179 that ruined the kitchen counter.
I talked to FR directly about a replacement counter- they said it would take about 2 weeks to get one to an FR warranty service center nearby.    The selling dealer wasn't very interested in helping me out and is a 200+ mile round trip.
Been over a month and it still hasn't arrived Angry

We've had ours around 2 months and have been on several trips but still haven't towed in the rain, I'm dreading when I do due to FR's poor workmanship...
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>