R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCreating a No-Fuss DC Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creating a No-Fuss DC Supply
    Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 8:45pm
Thank you.  We were all newbies at one time.  Smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Cap-n-Cray

*(It is possible to use a 2000 watt generator if you swap out your A/C's start capacitor with a much bigger one *).*

Have you done this? That is very interesting. Maybe another thread on this...

Yes I have - with a Supco SPP6 (link); its a direct replacement and it took longer to pull the ladder out of the garage than it did to install it.  Note: the SPP6 is the appropriate one for my A/C - different models over the years may well have different requirements, so you'll have to do some research.

I have a six year-old Hyundai 2200 watt peak / 2000 watt running inverter generator that it works quite well with.  I like my old Korean knock-off genny and was glad that a cheap start-cap was able to keep it in service.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:58am
Keep in mind with gensets in the 2000-2400 watt range, you will only be able to run one of the big appliances at one time - A/C, microwave, electric element in the water heater.  So if you are running the A/C and want to nuke dinner, you must turn the A/C off until you are done.  We did it last year when we had the Yamaha EF2400is, but after doing that for 10 minutes it will start to get warm inside the pod.  This was a secondary reason I upgraded to a Honda EU3000is this spring since it will run both at the same time.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 6:41pm
granlobo, If you go with a generator-  I would recommend the Yamaha EF2400iSHC.   This is the newer "high current surge" model designed to start most RV air conditioners.
 Anything smaller and you risk being on the edge and not being able to start the AC, such as high ambient temp or high altitude.
The big drawback I see to the EF2400iSHC is a relatively small tank that may not make it through an overnight if the AC is running a lot.   I made a method to attach a 5 gallon steel military style can to mine.    There is a commercial version marketed also.
As stated campgrounds vary greatly with regards to generator use- my favorite allows only 2 hours per day between 9-6.  My next allows 4 hours between 9-8.  My third allows between 9-8 all you want!   I've personally never encountered a true "campground" that allowed generators 24 hrs a day but I'm sure some might somewhere.  While traveling I have overnighted in WalMart and truck stop parking lots where I ran mine all night...not even noticed with idling big rigs.
Whatever you buy do not get a cheap (LOUD) one as you might be evicted or even worse by other campersLOL

PS the Honda EU3000is is a great generator- Like techntrek I own one also, it is just too heavy for one (normal) person to lift and move.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 8:52pm
Budward, I would be interested in a write-up of your gas tank mod.

I'm hoping the weight is a good extra deterrent to keep anyone from taking my Honda!  Eventually I need to buy or build an engine hoist so I can mount it w/o help from my 12 year old daughter.  I'm fortunate that she is very strong.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 10:28pm
The engine hoist works well-  I have an Onan 4kw that is designed as a built in-  originally I had it on a receiver platform that I plugged into the front receiver hitch on my F350 when it hauled a large Jayco truck camper.
An engine hoist is exactly how I did it!  The Onan generator alone is 200lb and probably had another 50 of support steel.
That generator is now installed in my 1999 Tahoe toy hauler...book value on that rig is now less than the generator is worth, to me anyway.   Someday I may trash the RV portion, selling the appliances, which all still work, and turning it into a 25ft flat bed.  It has a much stouter frame than travel trailers usually have with a 10k lb GVWR being a toy hauler.   I can't buy a 25' flat bed for what the trailer book is now!
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
NXRocks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 9:47am
A $15 investment will replace all the lights in your camper - HERE

2009 R-Pod 172 Lifted 4"
2008 Nissan Xterra built up - too much to list
Computer Engineer with metal work as a hobby - or more - former NXRocks manufacturing
First time RV Camper - this better be good
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12