R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarbon Monoxide detectors-IMPORTANT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbon Monoxide detectors-IMPORTANT
    Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:26pm
I just got a new co2 detector for the house. Upon reading the instructions, I found that" detectors should be placed below bed level" as co2 is heavier than air.

where is my co2 detector in my Pod???  above the windows-about 3 feet higher than bed level.

I moved ours right away-it's now 6" off the floor.

where is yours?

Vann
"
Many of the detectors are able to be plugged into an electrical outlet. The reason being that, since carbon monoxide is a heavy gas, the detector should be placed below bed height where it will detect the gas before anyone is harmed by it.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/way_5230838_location-locate-carbon-monoxide-detector.html
Many of the detectors are able to be plugged into an electrical outlet. The reason being that, since carbon monoxide is a heavy gas, the detector should be placed below bed height where it will detect the gas before anyone is harmed by it.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/way_5230838_location-locate-carbon-monoxide-detector.html

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:28pm
OOPPSSS
sorry about the extra links

but it is important

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:35pm
Good point!  I wondered about where they put it-    but you know the LP detector they place at floor level?
The one that sticks out 2" and can be stepped on or kicked and broken?
Well first week I replaced my LP detector with a combo LP and CO detector that fits almost flush, maybe sticks out 3/16"

So I wasn't really depending on the one FR installs...

Oh I also replaced the tiny fire extinguisher FR supplies with one about 3x the size.

PS Carbon Monoxide is CO not CO2 if you want to go back and edit your postSmile
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:42pm
Doesn't make sense, combined smoke/CO detectors wouldn't be possible.  I have 2 at home and they state to mount them near the ceiling.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:44pm
I just did a quick search online and everything I see says it is slightly lighter than air.

LP is heavier than air which is why it is mounted low to the floor.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 6:00pm
I am finding a lot of conflicting info on where to place them, one theory is warm air from a furnace is trapped near the ceiling possibly preventing the CO from reaching the detector so they say mount it a few feet below the ceiling.
Others say CO will rise in warm air from a defective heater so mount it up high.

I'm covered I have two at different levels.Smile

My combo LP/CO one is right in the path of heated air coming from the furnace, which would be the most likely source in an RV I suspect.
The other one is in the sleeping area a foot or so down from the ceiling, which is one recommendation.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply