R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod AC vents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod AC vents
    Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 11:43am
Anyone found the optimal vent configuration on their Rpod air conditioner that promotes good airflow and minimizes noise?

The a/c unit on my 178 has 5 vents: orward, aft, center, left, and right.  Seems like the side vents don't really do much but I haven't used the a/c enough to draw any real conclusions.

Cody91
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 12:02pm
Little difference in noise no matter how I have mine configured.  To get good airflow to the beds on either end I leave the end vents open.  I leave the side vent that faces the kitchenette, closed.  I leave the side vent facing the bathroom open to help it dry faster after showers.  The bottom vent is closed to give more pressure to the ones that are open - but if I'm setting up on a hot day I'll come in and cool off by opening that vent and standing right under it!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 12:14pm
Yeah I don't know why Dometic had to change what they had...I don't recall my previous ones having the issues this one has.
The front facing vent on mine, is partially blocked by the unit's own intake, making it the least effective vent of them all.
Guess which one faces the "bedroom" in my 179 where I'd especially appreciate cool airTongue

One thing Dometic did fix-  their unit in a huge Jayco truck camper I once owned had a potentially serious flaw-  it had digital controls-  if the AC power "blipped" the unit shut down, and did NOT restart unless you were there to press a button.    Poor design.

As for noise- it seems to me this Penguin II is the loudest AC I recall ever having, several Dometics and several Colemans on that list.  
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 1:56pm
Budward, maybe you could add a reflector below the bottom vent, then open it slightly, forcing more air towards the bed?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:10pm
You can move a lot of air around with an O2 fan too. I have the 10 inch (12v. D cells, 12v. plug and 110 ac) and a couple of 5 inchers (two D cells). Nice little fans!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CyberShanks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 1:25pm
I know this sounds odd, but what I did with ours was add a few strips of duct-tape inside it.  I started by taking the inside cover down (10 or 12 screws if I recall).  In-between the roof portion and the inside portion is a flexible lightweight plastic, almost like garbage bag material duct tube that flaps badly in the breeze.  I lined between the two with thick duct tape and made the transition as smooth as I could.  It is amazing how much quieter the AC unit is now.  If only Forest River would have taken the 5 minutes to complete the job to begin with..

Before taking yours apart, just look up in the center of it with a flashlight, you'll see what I'm referring to.  It's ~8" or so diameter and only about 3" or so tall.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply