Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello from small town Ontario

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from small town Ontario
    Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:22pm
Hello. We are picking up our 2015 178 next Tuesday and are very excited. The dealer asked if we wanted it undercoated for $630. Seems a lot for something I am not sure is necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking forward to meeting some fellow podders on the road soon. Thanks Rick
Rick & Wilma
'Hairy' Gracie
2015 178
GMC Sierra
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:56pm
Undercoating? Really? I thought sales guys stopped selling that with the AMC Gremlin.

But seriously, I'm thinking it's kinda silly. Most under parts are plastic or composite so don't see what it would help. I wouldn't want to coat wires and gas lines and valves and the metal frame parts can easily be touched up - in fact, I think would prefer to see a potential problem and fix it instead of covering it up.

my 2 cents
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 10:58pm
Ditto, and welcome, another canuck.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Puck Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 9:09am
Thanks for the response. Confirmed what I was thinking. We like the dealership and sales person but the pitches from the support staff were interesting. Expensive extended warranty packages and $630 for undercoating or $1260 for undercoating, fabric and paint protection. I bought the R Pod as it appears to be very well constructed. I guess time will tell. Thanks again. Rick
Rick & Wilma
'Hairy' Gracie
2015 178
GMC Sierra
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 9:09am
Welcome, and ditto + 1.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
DavidW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 10:29am
Welcome! Hope to see you at our Ontario Rendez-vous next June 2015 at Ferris Prov. Pk.

Don't forget to add your location to your profile so that we know which wonderful small town in Ontario you are from.

Happy R-Podding!
David & Liz
2014 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Traverse
And Lily (our 8 yr old Golden)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Puck Podders

Thanks for the response. Confirmed what I was thinking. We like the dealership and sales person but the pitches from the support staff were interesting. Expensive extended warranty packages and $630 for undercoating or $1260 for undercoating, fabric and paint protection. I bought the R Pod as it appears to be very well constructed. I guess time will tell. Thanks again. Rick

Sounds as bad as some car dealerships.  Did they offer you oil changes for life for your pod?

They should have offered you the extended warranty from Forest River.  When I bought mine 5 years ago it was $150 for an additional year (on top of the original 3).  More recent buyers will need to confirm what the current offer is.  I never ever buy extended warranties but I did in this case.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 3:12pm
Hello from small city, Ontario! (Oshawa)

I see that you've already made the wise decision to *not* undercoat your r-pod.  Frankly, I prefer to let the bottom breathe.  And, the reality is you'll only be pulling the trailer rarely in wet conditions (and very rarely when there's salt on the roads).  As I enter my fifth year of r-pod ownership, I can attest that a lack of undercoating isn't an issue.

As far as warranty, I agree that those dealer extended warranties aren't a good idea.  However, make sure to ask about Forest Rivers' one-year extended warranty.  Its only a couple hundred bucks and it can be well worth the expense.

When you pick-up your r-pod, make sure to take up their offer for a full walk-thru.  Let them (or make them) demo everything.

Finally, you won't want to hear this about your new trailer, but... there *will* be small issues that need to be fixed by the dealer.  Buying a new trailer isn't like buying a new car that's scrupulously quality controlled - its more like buying a new house.  The r-pod is a very well-built trailer compared to most others, but you will still run into fit-n-finish issues.  Over the next month, make a list and plan on taking it back to the dealership to have them fixed.  Its been a while, but I seem to remember having a problem with the way the microwave was seated in the cabinet, a slightly askew screen door, some moulding that had to be replaced and a sticky sliding window.

Oh - don't forget about trailer insurance.  Its a bit of a mess, and my broker really didn't know much about it.  In the end, I went through CAA and am insured through Aviva Elite (which seems to be popular among long-time travel trailer owners).

Finally, feel free to ask questions here - there are a lot of knowledgeable people around.  Fortunately, most have a lot more patience than I.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 4:18pm
I was wondering if many of you frequently wash the underside (spray) of the pod with water to remove dirt, salt, etc.
My pod is still new and I had concerns that spraying water down there may not be good for the vinyl covered plywood.

Any thoughts?
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 5:33pm
I tend to think keeping the underside of the floor as dry as possible is the best practice.   I wish FR used one of the RV specific floor water resistant plywoods (Performax) instead of the old school fabric barrier.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>