R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed30a to 20a Adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30a to 20a Adapter
    Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 4:24pm
So after reading through the sticky post on hot-skin conditions, I have a question. Seems like one common source for that is a problem with some of these adapters people use to go from the 30A plug the factory cord has to a 20A plug you can use on a standard wall outlet. My question is, are there any that seem to be better than others? I picked one up at Home Depot that is just a one piece adapter, not a short cable with a plug on each end. That seems to me like a potentially more reliable setup. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-Amp-to-20-Amp-Adapter-Plug-AD3020/202307108

I plan to eventually add a properly wired 30 amp receptacle to the garage but for now all I need is to cool down the fridge, charge the batteries, etc. before a trip. We don't really even camp anywhere with hookups. So this seems sufficient to me.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 1:30pm
I've heard of more problems with the "hockey puck" adapters like you linked to.  You can also get "dog bone" adapters which tend to be made better.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 4:22pm
We have a yellow Camco "hockey puck" type adapter. I THINK (??)  it is a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter--not 30 t0 20.  I've checked it out and the polarity is correct and we definitely don't have the hot skin issue. I've used it primarily at my house and it works fine. I've had it since we've owned our pod(about3 years).
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
ben View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 7:47pm
Now that I've actually used it I don't think it's as good as I thought it was. Seems lightly built like it wouldn't take much for a connection (ground pin) to get loose. It's also sort of upside down; the 30a end of the power cable gets plugged in upside down, so instead of hanging straight down it goes up and then back down. Which puts a fair bit of strain on the adapter and wants to pull it out or at least torque on it in an off kilter way. Might have to look at one of those dog bone types.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 11:40pm
Bought a dog bone 4 years ago to plug into the pole in the yard, have not had any problems with it. I have been to several RV Parks that have stated up front that dog bones are not to be used. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 4:50am
Originally posted by Goose

I have been to several RV Parks that have stated up front that dog bones are not to be used. Goose

I've not seen that, but then I don't camp very often where there are hookups.
Why would someone use an adapter anyway if the RV park provided the proper connections?

As for campground rules- I have owned several slide in pickup campers-   I have seen a few places that did not allow the camper to be removed from the truck.  Not really sure why that is, most come with a jack set to do that easily.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 5:42am
I used to think those molded electrical plugs and thing had to be infallible but I learned the hard way that they are not.  The molded plug on my Lincoln welder went bad.  Due to my own inept use of my ohm meter I took the whole welder apart and I mean completely apart looking for the problem.  I was ready to dump the thing in the river and go get another one when I said to myself the I might as well check the plug one more time.  That was it.  Cut the thing off and replaced it with one from Home Depot and bingo!  I saved myself $400 in the cost of a new welder.  It works like new now.

I don't know where the plug and cord set are made.  But anyway, the point is that just because you can't take it apart doesn't mean it was made right or that it will last forever. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 12:59pm
I guess that I should have explained a little better, we have stayed at a few RV parks that when you come in after the office closes you can self-check in. The park lists all of the sites available for that evening and sometimes all of the 30 amp sites are taken leaving only 50 amp or 20 amp open. To use the POD at a 20 amp site a dog bone would have to be used. This is what the park does not want so they let you know at check in no dog bones.
Now the funny part is that the first time we ran across this, I was filling in the form one night and Mother Goose was standing next to me reading the rules that were posted above the little desk and asked "Why can't dogs have bones here?" and so I had to explain what a dog bone was. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 1:02pm
We use the round black plug adapter, have used it steady since we got the pod in 2009 and have never had a problem
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
CyberShanks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 1:21pm
I picked up one of these: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192JGA8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works quite well and seems nicely made.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply