R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow low of temps before freezing plumbing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How low of temps before freezing plumbing?
    Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:01pm
We'll be camping up around 9K feet this weekend, and it's looking like it could dip down to, or slightly below freezing for a few hours saturday night. My guess is 30-32 for a 3-4 hours. Given it'll be in 50s/60s, and sunny during the day, what is the level of concern I should have over tanks/plumbing freezing?  My thinking is the residual heat will be enough to keep the water in tanks and plumbing from freezing, or at least freezing enough to cause problems.  Am I correct in my thinking there??

Alternately, would opening low point drains sat night to drain out most of the plumbing be helpful and/or good cautionary step? I don't anticipate much need for water after saturday night as we leave sunday morning. Alternately would running water a couple times over night be enough?

Thanks
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:43pm
The only thing that will be exposed to those temps are the tanks and the fresh water line to the pump.  Those temps for a few hours will be fine, especially if the fresh water tank has water in it.  Water has a lot of thermal carryover so nothing will come close to freezing.

My recommendation for the fall is, if it will get below freezing by more than a few degrees and by more than a few hours, it is time to winterize.  But then your pod will be sitting w/o water and w/o any heat inside.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:32pm
You'll be fine.  In the fall, I camp all the time in Algonquin when the temperature drops below freezing for a few hours overnight.  Occasionally, I'll wake up to a couple inches of snow on the ground Star

As Doug said, make sure you've got water in your fresh tank (I'd suggest at least 1/3 full) - the thermal mass will keep it from freezing in that short of a timeframe.  Make sure you've got a full tank of propane - at those temperatures, you can go through a tank in 3-4 days.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 8:23pm
I agree.  We've been out in the mid to low 20s and did okay.  Upper 20s should be no problem at all.  If you want you can get up and run the water for a couple of seconds a couple of times.  Cheap insurance would be to also take of the paneling in front of the water heater/pump/sink, but you should be fine.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
COSPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 10:34pm
awesome info as always, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply