R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator mode while travelling - Event Date: 11 Jun 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Refrigerator mode while travelling
    Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 5:34pm
I am a newbie and trying to figure out which mode to use on the refrigerator while in transit on the road.  My dealer said most people use the propane mode and that the refrig will maintain a more consistent temperature in that mode.  I assume this raises a safety issue and wonder if it guzzles propane.  I'm wondering if the DC mode might work almost as well.  How quickly with the refrig drain my battery if i am not moving?  
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:54pm
Propane mode barely sips propane - your fridge uses less than 1 lb of propane per day.

DC will put a good dent in your battery after 6-8 hours of use and drain a group 24 battery in about 10 hours.  Of course, if your charge line is properly wired, fused and gauged, your vehicle's alternator will supply the required power while you're travelling.  My advice would be to switch over to propane while stopped more than an hour for lunch.

DC mode is adequate for maintaining a cold fridge.  It really is nowhere as quick as propane in its ability to cool down a fridge (or its contents).  I've never noticed any inconsistency in temperature on DC mode - hot days, cold days, whatever, it runs just fine.

Safety.  *sigh*  There is always an argument here.  Some people are dead set against running propane while the trailer is in motion.  On the other hand, many RVers travel with propane running (and on larger RVs, there usually isn't a DC option available).  Its certainly legal to run propane appliances while travelling (except in some tunnels, the rare bridge, or on ferries), although propane MUST be shut off while filling your tow vehicle with gasoline.

In case of an accident where a propane line is cut, there is a safety valve in modern propane tanks which will automatically shut off gas flow.  This safety, however, will not cut off because of a slow leak or nick in a propane line.  Its an excellent, proven safety system, but there are still rare incidents where the safety doesn't work.  But, for some, running with propane on while there are other, safer options is not worth the risk.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:57pm
The fridge will drain the battery in a matter of hours. While on the road, the voltage from the TV will keep the fridge running without battery loss, but if you forget to change it over at the campsite, you could be in trouble.
The fridge doesn't use much propane. We camped 20 days last year on the same tank. That said, it also doesn't have a lot of cooling capacity either. Pre-cool the fridge on AC before you leave and pre-cool your food before putting it in. Give it every benefit you can.
The safety issue has been discussed here before. There is a chance that you could ignite a gas station and create a fireball. Dead

Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 7:16pm
I've had equal results (when my fridge is working) in all modes.  Use AC mode to pre-cool before a trip, at least overnight.  Then use it in camp if you have hookups.

Personally I almost always use the LPG on the road.  One less thing to fiddle with on boondocking trips - set it before leaving the driveway and forget it until you get home.  It uses very little propane, a full tank, if not used for heat or cooking, will last a full month.  Many worry about keeping it lit at gas stations, but gasoline is heavy so it stays close to the ground, and also has a very narrow flammability range.

DC mode has a few caveats which is why I use LPG.  First you must have a good sized wire, I recommend 10 gauge, between the battery under the hood and the Bargeman connector (the 7-in connection next to the hitch).  The cheaper wires installed by places like Uhaul are just too small, usually 12 gauge.  If the fridge is on DC mode it uses 11 amps, then if your pod's battery is low it will suck up all amps it can get to recharge.  You'll end up with a large voltage drop and ultimately a warm fridge and still-discharged battery since it isn't seeing 13+ volts.  Next you must have a good ground wire from the Bargeman either to a good bolt close by, or you need a heavy gauge wire back to the battery.  Another catch is the fridge can deplete a fully charged battery in a few hours, and a depleted battery much quicker.  So if you stop for lunch you need to switch to propane.  You shouldn't turn it off since the ammonia absorption system used by camper fridges take a lot longer to "catch up" than your home's fridge.

Bigger fridges in motor homes don't even have a DC mode, they use LPG all the time on the road.

Edit:  took me a while to finish my post, I see others have responded with much of the same info.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
COSPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 7:21pm

If the outside temp isn't bad, you can also throw a few frozen water bottles, ice pack or something in there while traveling vs actually running the fridge. For shorter trips that's what I'll do and with the fridge and contents already cooled off, it generally works well enough for a transit day, though again in cooler temps. Going through Arizona in July might be a different story.

Alternately if you have the space somewhere, just use a cooler with ice.  The fridge is nice size, but it's not huge, so you may want/need a cooler anyways.  I'm paranoid about liquids in the fridge while traveling, particularly bottles, so we usually put that stuff in a cooler.

Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 8:05pm
If you are traveling on a ferry in Washington state or any other state with a ferry, Coast Guard regs require all propane tanks to be shut off.  So if your traveling on a ferry during any part of your day prepare to make the switch to 12 volt. 
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Boomertype

If you are traveling on a ferry in Washington state or any other state with a ferry, Coast Guard regs require all propane tanks to be shut off.  So if your traveling on a ferry during any part of your day prepare to make the switch to 12 volt. 

How long are the typical ferry rides? Are they short crossings or longer excursions? My inclination would be to just turn off the fridge and stay out of it for the trip. 12V is ineffective and you stand the chance of depleting the battery completely. Eleven amps does a number on the typical group 24 battery in about 3 hours if it's fully charged to begin with.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 9:12am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Eleven amps does a number on the typical group 24 battery in about 3 hours if it's fully charged to begin with.

Charlie, it draws 11 amps while actively cooling.  The refrigerator cycles on and off during operation;typically its on about 15-20% of the time.  Of course, it'll cycle more frequently with hotter outside temperatures (or if the fridge isn't precooled, obviously).
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 11:13am
Charlie, it draws 11 amps while actively cooling.  The refrigerator cycles on and off during operation;typically its on about 15-20% of the time.  Of course, it'll cycle more frequently with hotter outside temperatures (or if the fridge isn't precooled, obviously). [/QUOTE]

True, but it will be cooling anytime the thermostat is not satisfied. That will generally be while traveling, after opening the door a few times, and if the outside temp is above 60 or so. Small fridges are not well insulated and take a while to recover from door openings. As you may detect I'm not a big fan of 12V operation of absorption fridges Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by Boomertype

How long are the typical ferry rides? Are they short crossings or longer excursions? My inclination would be to just turn off the fridge and stay out of it for the trip. 12V is ineffective and you stand the chance of depleting the battery completely. Eleven amps does a number on the typical group 24 battery in about 3 hours if it's fully charged to begin with.
Ferry rides - 30 min to 4 hours. Plus time waiting in que. You can't say, opps we are starting to load and make the switchover, when it's time to move its time to move!
Battery draw is not continuous, only when it kicks in to a cooling cycle. If it's been running and cold, it shouldn't cycle that frequently. Plus part of the time your TV will be running while loading. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>