Topic ClosedFirst trip with Vibe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First trip with Vibe
    Posted: 31 May 2014 at 9:18pm
  We arrived back home after a two week trip with our Vibe to Tennessee. We enjoyed the Vibe very much and do not regret buying it and would recommend others to have a look at the Vibes if shopping for a camper. The extra room was great, it having over three feet more in length and 1 1/2" in width for interior room. Weighing about 700 lbs more than our r-pod 171 the mpg was the same or a little better. It will take time to know for sure but by doing the math each tank full we got 12.6 to 13.8 mpg. On our way up to Tennessee we carried about 850 lbs. of flooring,paint and tools. Fully loaded between truck and camper we were hauling about 4,500 lbs camper and cargo. The V front makes a difference in handling and MPG. I am curious if marywayne will notice any difference with his modification of a V nose on his r-pod. I still agree the r-pods quality in construction is better in ways than the Vibe but one can always make improvements as we have. One thing for sure it is a little heavier and up hills or mountains you feel the difference but with our truck it was no problem.  I think the r-pods have a advantage with lite weight tow vehicles that have towing capacities of 3,500 lbs. The Vibe needs a little larger vehicle and more power. Over all a nice camper for one wanting a little more room as we did. My wife wanted a full bath and I wanted to stay small the Vibe for us was a good choice.   David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 10:32pm
I'm feeling the good vibes.  Smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 5:45am
I currently own a V nose 20ft enclosed trailer and have owned the same size in the traditional front.

If there was any difference in fuel mileage I haven't detected it.   It is usually grossing near 7000 lbs and is pulled with a 96 F350 Powerstroke diesel that weighs right at 10,000 lbs.

My gut says the V nose should return less drag, but I'm not convinced real world delivers it.
Several online sources indicate there is no advantage to the V nose aerodynamically.

I liken it to the tailgate down effect on pickup trucks.  Many will swear they get better fuel mileage with it down even though several wind tunnel tests have proven it actually increases drag when downSmile
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 7:23am
   The improvement with MPG with the V nose could be wishful thinking. I have searched and found both those who said it helped those who said it did not. But what makes me think perhaps it does I came across a video of a dealer with two campers they were identical except one had a V nose one with a flat sloped back nose. They used the same tow vehicle drove the same roads using the same gasoline the same day. The end result the V nose had a little better MPG. They were trying to prove a point and it looked convincing. It does make a difference when it comes to bugs they are only on the forward edge of the nose less bugs to clean off. The Vibe does have a fiberglass cap that has a bit of a bubble shape I don't know if that is for looks or to help decrease wind drag. But for the extra weight and length using same tow vehicle we are getting the same MPG if not a little better than we did with the r-pod. But time will tell if that is consistent we only made one trip of 1,600 miles. As techntrek has said its giving us good vibes. Smile
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 8:22am
Glad you are happy with the Vibe!   
I always assumed the V front would offer less drag, but I used to think the tailgate down on a pickup did tooWink

Now I do think the rounded front and back of the r-pod helps with drag, but I could be wrong there too!LOL

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 9:37am
We looked at a Vibe when we looked at the 178/179. We liked the bathroom & extra storage, didn't care for the front bed, small propane tank. Plus it is too heavy for our Jeep.
Maybe when its just us & we buy a bigger tow vehicle, the Vibe would be our next choice.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
 Post Reply Post Reply