R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLong Distance Travel Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Distance Travel Maintenance
    Posted: 30 May 2014 at 1:16pm
There seems to be a number of folks here who have experience with long distance travel - 5000 mile+. We are about to join that club.

Of course, there is a lot of pre-planning that goes into any such an adventure like reservations, insurance, health considerations, packing too much, packing too little, budget, etc. These and more considerations could be lengthy discussion threads all to themselves and I would welcome the discussion.

I'm most curious about TV maintenance experiences on the road. Although I am confident my TV will be in tip top shape for an extended trip with new tires, brakes, tune up, fresh fluids and filters and a local mechanic I trust (small town living has it's advantages), what do you LD travelers do on the road?

Have you found a favorite stop for routine maintenance like fluids and filters? Do you do it yourself? Are there specific spares you might carry for your TV you have found invaluable like tire pump, torque wrench or jumper cables or spare fluids? Perhaps you just carry AAA and don't worry?

When I sailed long distances we carried pretty much everything needed to make repairs and keep moving. No AAA at sea and we would stuff the lockers full. We were rarely on a schedule and traveling at six knots or less afforded us the time. Long distance road tripping with a 3000+ lb load behind @ highway speeds is a bit different and I have learned that over packing can be costly re: fuel and comfort.

Thanks for any and all insights!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 2:06pm
Hi,
I just bought a '14 178 and am planning a x-country trip in the fall. I. too would appreciate any feedback about long distance issues, supplies, tools etc. I am in the process of tricking out the pod "Alice" with additional storage and amenities.
Thanks,
Jan
CyberShanks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 9:19pm
When I go on long trips I usually make sure the tow vehicle is in tip/top shape.  If I'm going to be more than a few hundred miles past a due oil-change I'll go ahead and change prior to leaving. 

Make sure all u-joints are in good shape, tires properly inflated, all fluids topped off (motor, trans, tcase, axles, brakes, wipers, etc.).  Also give all the grease zerks on both the truck and trailer a few shots of grease.  If it hasn't already been done for the season I'll re-pack bearings on the trailer axles and make sure everything is tight on it suspension wise. 

Tires should be replaced at around 5-6 years of age, I think blowouts are usually related to old tires that aren't properly inflated.

I usually carry whatever hand tools I can get to fit in the truck box, up until tomorrow I've usually had my Jeep with me as well and it has on-board-air so I haven't carried a compressor but I will start to now.  Tire plug kits are great to have as well as a quart or two of oil, some brake fluid, gear lube, etc.

I am an avid wheeler so I usually go "prepared".  All RV'n I have done so far has been with our old pop-up mounted on the 30' flatbed with the Jeep strapped down behind it. 

Hopefully I've sparked some thoughts and haven't just rambled on...

Jim
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 9:57pm
Before the big trips I take mine to my local mechanic for a complete once-over.  I can do my oil, air filter, brake pads, but I usually have too much other stuff on my plate before a big trip to worry about that.  From all I have read and experienced, synthetic oil is worth the extra cost.  This summer is the first trip I'm going to try "fuel saving" tires, I'll report back on that.  

I carry spare oil, jumper cables, tire plug kit, 12 volt air pump, flare, torque wrench, tape, basic tools, and water in the pod is backup in case of a radiator leak.  Last year while traveling in central/west Texas and New Mexico I was very happy to have a spare 2 1/2 gallons of gas - gas pumps are very few and far between.  I saw several people on the side of the road literally standing on the roof of their truck trying to get a cell signal, I presume because they were out of gas.  While I was in that area I never let the truck get below a half-tank and kept the generator tank full in case we had to retreat to the pod to stay cool.  Normally while towing I don't let the truck tank get below 1/4 tank.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 10:32pm
As I live in the Western US I"ll echo Doug on not passing a gas station when going into "remote areas" on less than 1/2 tank. Even on I-70 and I-80 there will be signs "no services" 100 miles. Pulling the Pod as we all know cuts down on your fuel mileage. Duct tape is a must and for those who are okay with the concept some type of "personal protection" might make you feel more comfortable if remote. I carry a breaker bar as I have found by personal experience lug nuts could be problematic in getting off particularly if the tire has not come off for a while. 
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 9:44am
In the past when it was time for an oil change on the TV I would find a Jiffy Lube and get that done, for the trailer, the wheel bearings are checked and greased before the trip. In the Jeep I use Mobil 1 and go 10,000 miles on an oil change so our trips are not interrupted by stops at an oil change place. The wheel bearings are serviced at the start of the season every year. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 3:43pm
All great suggestions. Thanks.

I agree with Goose and Tech that a good synthetic oil is good for longer than one might normally think and I would never travel anywhere without my duct tape and vice grips! Keeping a close eye on fuel is also a great tip. Gas Buddy app and a copilot prolly will help.

I might add I have learned that a good tire gauge, either digital or analog, is a great investment. Not those pen type.

Keep 'em coming!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
betsypgarmy@yahoo.co View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 1:36pm
When you say "basic tools" might you elaborate? We are headed for a 500 mile trip in a couple weeks, and want to insure we have the necessary equipment 

Thank you
Betsy and Jim Conway
Two Scotties
2012 Highlander
2012 R177
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 10:36pm
we did almost 11,000 miles last fall during a 10 week trip .  One major thing I did before leaving was to upgrade my tv headlights. I also used Rain-X on the windshield and front windows. New windshield wipes are a must buy and install. Keep your existing ones as a spare set.  We got an oil/filter change (synthetic oil) at the recommended interval at a local dealer as we passed through. we always carried a 5 gallon canister of water.  we used an electric cube heater as much as possible to save propane.  we took a small propane grill.  we keep drinks , fruits and some vegetables in a ice chest in the tv to free up room in the refrigerator.  we had a small hand axe for firewood splitting/cutting. we took an electric kettle for heating water if we had electric services. we took laundry detergent and dryer sheets in premeasured ziplocks. we went to a laundromat or campground laundry about once a week to keep our clothes to a minimum . we also washed our sleeping bags several times during the trip.

I took a 3/4" drive breaker bar, torque wrench, ratchet and sockets. normal small hand tools(screwdrivers, adjustable,wrench,pliers, electric tester, etc). I bought a second drinking water hose, a 25' 30 amp extension cord.

those are the main things that come to mind-I'm sure you can try to take way too much.  the hard part is what not to take.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:14am
When we travel distances, we have our mechanic give the van and camper  a once over. We then bring a combination jump pack with an air compressor built in ( saves carrying cables and a compressor) a couple of bottles of oil and trans fluid. Some basic tools (wrenches, socket set etc) We also have a full size spare tire for our van on a rim so we aren't stuck with the dealer issued donut tire.  I also have a tire patch kit so that if it is not bad I can plug the tire and gimp it to a garage.
We also hit either a Jiffy Lube or Grease Monkey for an oil change they usually give it the once over also.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply