R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEnergy Consumer <-- Producer Chart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Energy Consumer <-- Producer Chart
    Posted: 15 May 2014 at 1:16pm
Hello, Forum, this is my first post. I would like to say that this is an exceptionally friendly and informative place from which I have gleaned a ton of information within the last couple of weeks. My wife and I just purchased a new R-Pod 178 Hood River Edition, and we are exited to take it out for our first camping trip. We live in Anchorage, Alaska, so there are plenty of spots. But first, we'll take it only a few miles out of town and camp for only a couple nights.

I am a visual person, so I have been working on creating a chart for myself on what service/appliance uses what form of energy. It is a bit of a work in progress, but I think it will ultimately help me to give me the big picture. My question is, what do I have wrong?

Can the experts among us have a quick look and maybe point out what I am missing or have incorrect? Much appreciated.

Also, if you are plugged into the house, how can one tell if an appliance is indeed using AC rather than 12V?

2015 RP178 - 2000 Toyota Tundra
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 2:10pm
Welcome, and an interesting discussion.  First I would remove "Generator" as a source, since the source of the AC doesn't matter to the pod.  If you argue for keeping the generator, you should add a new source, "External battery charger".

Stereo, lights, fan, water pump, some models of tv, the tv antenna signal booster and LP detector always operate from 12 volts DC.  While the 12 volt source is the converter - fed by 120 volts AC -  when the pod is plugged in, I don't think it is accurate to connect "water pump" to "AC", for instance.  It is more accurate to connect the output of the converter to the DC system, removing the line from Shore Electric to the Battery.  The converter does 3 things at one time - it is a regulated battery charger, 12 volt DC source, and it is the pod's utility panel, with breakers, passing the AC connection through to the other appliances without modifying it in any way.

The furnace burns LPG but uses the DC system for the thermostat and ignitor.

Microwave, A/C, outlets, some models of tv only run from AC (connected to the converter, but again, it doesn't do anything to the AC supply other than cut it off if a breaker trips).

Stove is exclusively LPG, gotta light it with a match or lighter, although it wouldn't be too hard to add an ignition system if you really wanted it.

Refrigerator and water heater use all 3, depending.  The fridge's control board runs from 12 volts, the LPG-mode ignitor system, as well as the DC-mode heating element.  There is also the AC-mode heating element, and finally the LPG-mode flame.  The water heater has two separate systems, LPG and AC, but uses DC too.  The LPG system has a DC ignitor system, and the AC system only uses AC.

Smoke detector and CO detector have their own 9 volt batteries.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TR_Alaska View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 2:14pm
Many thanks for your detailed response. I will get to work on these updates. I appreciate you explaining all that to me. While I'm a visual guy, electricity, and power sources generally, scare the daylights out of me, yet my greatest fear is being without it when I'm in the toolie weeds!  
freezingalaskan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 12:21am
TR_Alaska,
Good to see another Alaskan on here.  I bought the 172 last year and we are enjoying it very much.  I think we are going to see more of these Rpods up here.  The salesman at ABC told me they are selling well.

freezingalaskan
Volvo XC90 '13
rPod 179 '16
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:52am
Nicely done, add the suggested changes and the chart will be great. I'd add the solar inlet as a source and change the Shore Electric to Shore AC/Generator, the inlet will be the same. 
TR_Alaska View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:30pm
Hello again. Here is Version 2 of my chart, thanks to revisions kindly provided by techntrek. I think I'm on the right track, but I think I don't have the "converter" deal worked out perfectly yet. This has been a fun yet challenging project. My goal, really, is for me and my wife to get a good handle on energy usage since we've never done this before.

Hello, freezingalaskan. Yes, Mel at ABC RV said they are selling like hotcakes! I haven't "camped" in our Pod, but I've been spending time in it in our driveway, and the neighbors have been coming in for a visit, so there's been a considerable amount of wine consumed.  heh heh

Thank you, Boomertype. I'll add other things like the solar input and some of the other non-essential items like television, photocopier, shredder* once I get a solid handle on the essential stuff.

*I'm joking about the office equipment. That's the stuff I'm trying to get AWAY from! :-)

outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:58pm
That's a very cool diagram.  I'm not sure I'd bother adding the television, as it seems some people here have 12 volt TVs and some have 120 VAC TVs.  Seems like an unnecessary complication since you have a "stereo/lights/fan/outlets" category.  

Suggestion: add the slide out motor - if you are trying to get a handle on stuff that runs on 12v vs 120VAC.  I would assume that everyone's slide out motor operates on 12v?
TR_Alaska View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 2:10pm
Thank you, outermostpod!

I forgot to add to the chart something to notate the distinction between dotted and solid lines. The dotted ones represent sort of an "either or" scenario, like the refrigerator can use "either the gas, the battery, or the AC."
 Post Reply Post Reply