R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do you wish...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ahefner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you wish...
    Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:57pm
Easy access hatch for the hot water bypass and a hatch for the pump bypass also. Easy enough to add but would have been nice if it was already there.
2014 rPod 178
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7
GlobeTrotter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 9:43am
Dual battery.  Power Jack.  Dual Propane stand and regulator.  E2 weight distribution hitch.  Several DC plugs.

Podding from Montana and loving it!
TriumphRider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:00pm
Wow, great articles!  Now I have another step to add to my routine when setting up camp!

Thanks,

TriumphRider
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 10:59pm
I meant to post this info back then but it slipped my mind when things got busy over the summer.  Check out these links, especially the article at the first link, which explains the right way to test for ground issues.  The 2nd link explains how voltmeters, plug- in testers, and intelligent surge protectors can report on some faults - but not all.  I haven't purchased the Non Contact Voltage Tester he describes, which detects the final problem, yet.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 4:59pm
On the water pressure thing, I know one park we will be staying at this summer has a water pressure of 150psi.  Valterra does make a high-flow pressure regulator that keeps the pressure up around 60psi, while their standard may drop it to 40psi.  About the same price too.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I will also verify the ground connection with a voltmeter when I get into camp.  I discovered my 30 amp extension cord was NOT grounding the pod last year when I got a shock after my kids washed it and the ground was soaked.  They were in bare feet and that could have been lethal for them.

Yikes!  Thanks for the heads-up!  It never occured to me to check that!  So do you just do a continuity check from the far end of the cable to a clean point on the frame, or...?

The surge protector I'm looking at does provide some diagnostics of the incoming power such as reverse polarity and an open ground at the box, and it was only $100, so fairly inexpensive insurance.

The dealer is providing 'free of charge'LOL a small water pressure regulator.  If it does inhibit flow too much I'll just rig up a gauge that will connect to the hose bib and test the pressure when we are setting up and determine if regulation is necessary.

TriumphRider
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 11:32am
Personally I don't bother with surge suppressors or water pressure regulators for our camper.  I have the later and tried it once or twice but it always dropped the pressure too much for our shower.  The PEX systems in the pods can take more pressure than some may believe, and it is very rare for a commercial hookup to supply more than a safe level.  Surge suppressors are a little more useful, but my only goal in-camp is to monitor the voltage level to make sure it is between 108 and 132 (-/+ 10%), which I do with a Kill-A-Watt I keep plugged in where I see it every time I come in the door.  

I will also verify the ground connection with a voltmeter when I get into camp.  I discovered my 30 amp extension cord was NOT grounding the pod last year when I got a shock after my kids washed it and the ground was soaked.  They were in bare feet and that could have been lethal for them.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 11:01am
Thanks, hadn't thought about extended warrenties.  I read the thread about the pros and cons and would consider one on the fridge depending on the cost.  The dealer didn't even mention them when we were setting up the deal, so maybe they don't offer them or else we will get the hard sell when we go for orientation and pick up.Cry

Sounds like we will be getting the dual 12v batteries.  Later down the road I can swap them out for 6v's if the need is there.

Getting excited (and nervous!) about picking it up on Monday!  I have a Logbook/Journal ready to take notes in when we do the walk around and orientation.  Hopefully it will eventually be filled with remembrances of all the fun trips we had in our new Pod!Big smile

TriumphRider 

ETA:  We did end up getting a Good Sam membership since there is a Camper World so close to our home base.  We picked up some things that I thought were necessary, i.e., chocks and leveling blocks, locks for the trailer hitch, etc.  Does everyone agree that a surge supressor is needed?  We didn't use one when we had our 23' Terry trailer many years ago, but then it didn't have any electronics to speak of at all!  What else trailer related will we need to get right off the bat?
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 12:04am
Discuss the extended warranty options, Good Sam, or whatever. Not much leverage on this once the check is in their hands.
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 6:26pm
Thanks Doug and Charlie.  I knew the diagram showed two batteries in parallel--not in series.  I've never considered two 6V batteries before...but will be looking at that possibility now.  Thanks again. 
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>