R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWall coverings, edge trim, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall coverings, edge trim, etc.
    Posted: 07 May 2014 at 5:59pm
Just thinking about some more crazy mod ideas and wundering if anyone has a source or has purchased from FR the wall covering material, corner trim,  edge trim, etc. It's just a laminated (pressure) or heat applied adhesive covering over luan or similar but curious if anyone has found a match?

Here's a really crazy idea...a shower with elbow room. I'm playing with some ideas similar to Roadtrek Shower which actually extends into cabin making a much larger shower. Imagine keeping the door open and the shower curtain extended into the cabin and back to head. Gotto figure out drainage trap/pan, which is why r-pod shower pan is raised, but would be cool if could be done. We used sump pumps on boats.Ya know, eliminating the trap would gain another 4" of headroom in the head. That's one of my head-exploding ideas (excuse the pun).

But I digress, really looking for trim and wall covering sources. Thanks!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 8:02pm
Fred, our old Winnebago LeSharo had a shower similar to the Roadtrek showers.  When extended, it about doubled the size of the shower area.  It was nice in theory, but not so great when actually used.

Have you seen those shower curtain extension rods that are hinged and when in the extended position go out into the aisle of the pod?  The shower curtain stays within the shower pan, but the curtain expends outward at the top although the bottom of the curtain diverts water into the pan.  Camping World sells them for TTs and MHs although I doubt if they are small enough for use in a pod.  But, the concept might be worthy of adapting for pod use.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 8:43pm
That's an interesting option. Last couple of times I used the shower I just left the door open with curtain in pan. Did give me a little more elbow room. That got me thinking and remembering all the showers I've used on boats of various sizes. Of course, a bilge helps. That's what the pod needs....a bilge! Smile

fred
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 5:45am
   What bothered me the most was the leg room my legs up against the toilet. If there was 5" or 10" more space would have been nice. But the 171 model 18' long there was not the room to extend the bath the trailer was just not long enough. With the 20' models that may be a option but then Forest River would need to have two different size baths instead of one for all.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:39am
Someone here posted a podmod a few years ago with a shower curtain rod that extended out of the open door.

I've posted several times of an extreme mod I've considered - basically duplicating the wet bath that was in our popup.  Remove the top 2/3 of the interior walls of the wet bath, replaced by a wrap-around curtain, and hang the shower head from the ceiling.  When not in use, roll the curtain up to the roof and secure.  This would greatly increase the visual size of the pod's interior when the curtain is up, and give you a ton more elbow room while showering.  "Privacy" really isn't an issue since there certainly isn't any for the toilet (smells and sounds) even with the current enclosure.  If you are worried about shadows while showering you could hang a secondary privacy curtain, or even go with a dark/black shower curtain since there is a light inside the bath.  The later wasn't possible in our popup since the lighting was outside of the shower but we did hang a privacy curtain which worked well.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:45am
Nice Doug. But...I can't understand why I would worry about shadows. I like shadows! Smile

fred

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 10:20am
LOL, shadows from my wife ... awesome (my daughters won't like it much but they'll live).  Wink

Shadows from said daughters who are ... maturing quickly ... not so much.  Dead
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:22pm
Wasn't it Brody who said..."You're gonna need a bigger boat." Smile

I just came across this, which seems quite popular with the Casita crowd: http://www.hepvo.com/

If/when I ever do decide to do a bathroom makeover, this looks like a potential solution to gaining a significant amount of space. Especially if it could be mounted below the trailer and tied into grey water tank.

This is how one fellow did it with his Casita: http://tinyurl.com/asw8vn

Still wondering about the wall covering material and factory trim.

fred

Post Reply Post Reply