Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro
    Posted: 04 May 2014 at 2:28pm
Hello Forum members. We are picking up our new 177 tomorrow in Salem. We traded a 7-month old Chalet for it. We had so many recurring problems, including failure of roof to close, that we decided to go into an R-Pod, which was bought at the same dealer as the Chalet.
We are taking a 10,000 mile road trip that includes my 60th high school reunion beginning in mid-August. We couldn't afford breakdowns.
Any special tips for me as a new owner? We have been full-timers since 2001 and RV-ers for 30 years. We are very familiar with RV systems in general. Also, we are full-time Oregon State Park hosts, specializing in interpretive positions. Any advice would be very welcome. Glad to be aboard!

cmrb
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 2:45pm
Just make sure you get the salesperson to give an extensive walk through and to demonstrated all pumps, lights, gas (heater, fridge, stove. From everything I've read on here, I'm so glad we dealt with the rv place that we did. They went over everything and explained all that they could think of and answered any question we had. As the salesman said no question is stupid ask away....
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 3:46pm
Welcome to the group and congrats!!! Just make sure your dealer does a good walk through and demonstrates everything so you know it works.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 4:08pm
Welcome.

Make sure the hot water heater works before you leave. Often times the valves are in the "winter" position when the pod comes from the factory. If it doesn't work, search the site for the fix. I had a friendly fellow podder in the next campsite help me out the first time.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 6:30pm
your walkthrough is your best friend.

poke, kick, switch, flip, test, and use every appliance on EVERY setting.  flip them all on at once, run all the taps.

test the tv, the dvd functions etc.  

you'll be happy you asked and poked everywhere that way you don't get home and then not have one light work or something else silly.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 7:23pm
Welcome.  It sounds like you won't need any help with the system checkouts, since you are full-timers.  I'm amazed that you would full-time in a Chalet or pod, more power to you!  Only pointer I would give for a 10,000 mile trip is to have the axle bearings re-packed at the 5000 mile point, and keep an eye on the tire tread.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 8:57pm
   Welcome to the forum your experience will be of great help I am sure to many. Yes I am with Doug I am surprised to know you are full-timers with the r-pod. I could probably handle full-timing with a r-pod but my wife that would be a different story. Perhaps with our Vibe being a little larger your experience with the r-pod full timing will be a encouragement to my wife to live in the Vibe for three months at a time.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 9:15pm
Welcome cmrb. We had about the same experience as you with our Chalet. It was the poorest built of the 6 travel trailers we've owned. Great concept that didn't prove practical--poor build quality with stapled construction, apple crate wood for framing, crumby fitting cabinetry, cheap fittings and leaks. I know I wasted a lot of money, work, time and frustration on our Chalet. Guess I sound a little bitter, huh? You'll find your Pod is a much nicer unit.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
cmrb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:29am
I posted our profile and a newbie yesterday about full-timing and buying a new r-pod. We full time in an Alfa Ideal fifth wheel, not our former Chalet or our new r-pod. Wherever we are park-hosting we bring our r-pod with us and store it in a local lot. On our days off we choose not to drag a huge fifth wheel around at 6 miles to the gallon, but use our small trailer (r-pod) to go on excursions. We pull the r-pod with a 2013 Toyota Venza crossover. It is rated to pull 3,500 lbs and we bought it because we wanted to pull small trailers on our days off. We get 16 MPG. WE DO NOT full time in a Chalet or R-Pod, although we are going on a four month road trip beginning Aug. 15 to my 60th high school reunion in Woodstock, VA. Sorry for the confusion!
cmrb
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:50am
cmrb - I moved the post above from your new thread.  Might as well keep it in one thread.  Thanks for the correction.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>