R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew TV.....Taco.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New TV.....Taco.
    Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 7:45pm
Our 97 Suburban is getting unreliable and don't know how much longer it is going to last. 

Thinking about a Tacoma, 4 door, either standard or long bed, although friends just got a new Eco Diesel Jeep ( but that is a lot of $$). 

Or could move up to a F150 with the new aliminum body ( if the burn lasts that long) or Tundra. Having hanging room for a 9 foot fly rod would be nice. 

Any opinions?
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 8:05pm
We were thinking Tacoma, and have come back around to a Tundra.  3000lbs more towing capacity and from what I'm hearing, same to better MPG with a RPod in tow.  We are going for the CrewMax, so no room for a 9ft fly rod, except in the trailer.

Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 8:27pm
When we had our '10 RP175 we towed with a 2005 Tacoma Prerunner 4.0 V/6 DC with tow package. It did a great job towing, and I still miss its size when driving in town. We got a good deal on a 2012 Tundra DC with tow and 4.6 v/8. Although the Taco towed well, the little V/8 Tundra tows better and gets a solid 2mpg better than the Tacoma, both towing and on the road. The Tacoma got a little better mpg in town. To me, either is a good choice for towing a Pod. I didn't need or want a 5.7 Tundra, but if you like power---
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 8:54pm
I'll have to give a vote for the Tacoma. I towed a 172 for a year with a 4WD Honda Pilot. A Colorado trip was the test. The Pilot did it, but it was slow. Therefore I upgraded to a DC Tacoma before upgrading to a Camplite 21RBS trailer. I towed the 172 once with the Taco for 300 miles - no sweat. The Taco will handle any RPOD easily, even in CO. Now the Taco hauls the #1000 heavier Camplite fine, but the CO trip is still in the future. However, I did a supercharger to the Taco. The jury's still out on that.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:06pm
Speaking of the new aluminum body F150-  I already saw one report that insurance would be much higher on them than a steel body F150 due to there not being many body shops that can properly repair it, and even if they could the procedures and materials are pricier. 
 Kinda get the feeling there went any gas mileage savings....   I also wonder if it will dent more easily, that wouldn't be good.

Supercharger on the Toyota 4.0 V6? -   I'm interested in that, I tow the r-pod with a 2011 FJ Cruiser, I wouldn't mind a little more power and would really love better gas mileage.  Of course that supercharger is kinda pricey.  Would take a LOT of gas savings to pay that back....
So spill the beans CharlieM-  how is it working out for you?

I too am interested in a Tacoma, but- we have done 4x4 trails in Colorado that a Tacoma probably wouldn't have made it with the additional length..and hope to go back soon.

I'd really like a 4runner if Toyota hadn't fattened and mommy vanned them...

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Budward

Supercharger on the Toyota 4.0 V6? -   I'm interested in that, I tow the r-pod with a 2011 FJ Cruiser, I wouldn't mind a little more power and would really love better gas mileage.  Of course that supercharger is kinda pricey.  Would take a LOT of gas savings to pay that back....
So spill the beans CharlieM-  how is it working out for you?

Too early for a final conclusion. I bought it specifically for the mountain towing at altitude. From a purely towing perspective the F-150 ecoboost was my first choice, but the size was too much for my wife to drive and load/unload. If there had been a V8 Tacoma the decision would have been instantaneous. The SC does pop you back in the seat, but we were not expecting the whine. It takes getting used to, but I expect the added HP/torque and air at altitude will be worth it. As you know an IC engine suffers from loss of air at altitude. The SC does require premium gas all the time, but I always did use premium when towing and the Taco's first and primary job is towing the camper. I have to drive it to the hardware store every week or so just to keep the gas from wearing out Wink

Yes, it's pricey. I paid under 5K including labor and tax but I don't plan to buy another truck for a long time. And have you priced a new F-150 or other big truck lately? So I'll have a better idea later this year. Until then I'll just enjoy my little Taco and camping.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:49pm
Oh yeah new trucks are ridiculous-  I have a 96 F350 4x4 crew cab long bed Powerstroke I ordered in July 1995.  200,000+ on it, most of it towing. 
I'd love a new one but 60 grand?   I don't think so!
The 96 will probably stay until I croak or it croaks.  Been a great truck overall.

Did you notice premium making much difference in the Taco when towing?  The camper I was towing pre r-pod was an Aliner so I was averaging 15 on the road with regular.  Haven't towed the r-pod except to get it home from the dealer...heading out this weekend for the first loaded trip.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Budward

Did you notice premium making much difference in the Taco when towing?  The camper I was towing pre r-pod was an Aliner so I was averaging 15 on the road with regular.  Haven't towed the r-pod except to get it home from the dealer...heading out this weekend for the first loaded trip.

I don't have a calibration on the premium difference since the SC Taco requires premium all the time. Regular gas will result in extreme pre-ignition and engine damage. I'm advised to carry a bottle of octane additive for emergency situations where premium is not available. But with the Honda I could definitely tell a difference of 2-4 mpg towing with premium. Enough to cover the increased cost. Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc all recommend premium for towing. Makes sense, especially if you can find non ethanol gas. Just more BTU per gallon.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 5:00am
I'll have to start testing the premium vs regular performance now that I'm towing a heavier more wind resistant camper.
re: Non-Ethanol Gas.   I love that stuff and am fortunate to have several suppliers in my area, it can be hard to find many places.
Ever since I started using it a few years ago in all my small engines it has made a huge difference, especially here in the humid south.  
I do miss the frequent carburetor disassembly/clean/reassembly routines though.    NOT!Big smile
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 6:14am
this is a no brainer.............F150!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>