R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAll these new TV Gauges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: All these new TV Gauges
    Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 6:50pm
So now that we've upgraded our TV to the Grand Cherokee we have a whole lot of new gauges for the engine that I didn't have before. I know what they all mean, but I'm curious as to when I should get "worried" about them hitting a certain point while towing. Here's what I have:

Transmission Temp -- range is 40-300 degrees, normal driving it runs 160.
Oil Pressure -- range is 0-110 lbs, normal driving it runs 45.
Oil Temp -- range is 100-300 degrees, normal driving it runs 215.
Coolant Temp -- range is 100-300 degrees, normal driving it runs 210.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:08pm
The owners manual will explain all of this.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:13pm
Just watch the transmission temperature when towing. If it gets in the 240-260 range you're getting in trouble. Normal cautions on water temperature. Oil temperature not a big help if you watch the water temp. And if the oil pressure drops you need to stop and replace lost oil.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:17pm
I've been keeping a close eye on all of the above between my dash display and the Interceptor gauge I've posted about.  After last summer's too-warm temps and oil scare I did a bunch of research on the first two.

Tranny - Chevy's own info says the oil and seals degrade rapidly above 270 F, so they design to keep the temps below that (obviously my research was geared towards Chevy but in general this info applies to all brands).  Most other research showed you should stay well below that.  Last summer, running warm, mine peaked around 240 and often ran around 225-230 while towing.  Before I installed the front receiver hitch (which is what I think created my problem) I usually towed around 190-200.  Daily driving it was around 170.  Now with an additional tranny cooler I'm getting around 120-130 during daily driving.  I haven't towed yet with the new cooler.

Oil pressure - anything above 10 at idle is fine, I think I see 40 on the highway.  It is normal to see a wide variation based on engine speed.

Oil temp - in the last month that I've had the Interceptor mounted my oil temp usually spikes around 195-200, warmest day so far was around 70 outside and the oil temp hit about 205.

Coolant - 195-200.

Interesting note about the coolant & oil temps.  A friend of mine who was a mechanic swore the dash gauge would show a different temp from the computer's coolant and oil temps.  He was right.  The dash gauge will quickly rise and top out at 210 (this spiked to 235 last summer, then the cooling fans would kick on and it would drop to 210, then rise again to 235).  Meanwhile the computer's readings show a slower rise on the coolant reading to what I posted above.  The oil reading rises fairly slowly and eventually passes the coolant reading but still doesn't match the dash reading.  Bottom line, at least on my truck I think the dash gauge is a dedicated thermometer pre-radiator, while the computer relies on a different coolant thermometer possibly post-radiator.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:24pm
I recall the oil pressure gauge in some Fords was activated by a switch, not a pressure sensing sender..  IOW almost any oil pressure resulted in a center of gauge reading that never varied. Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply