R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew 179, options for screened room?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 179, options for screened room?
    Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 8:01pm
Hello!
We just purchased a 179 Hood River model that we will be driving to Alaska and living in for the summer with our 3 month old baby and 3 dogs Tongue This is our first camper and we are really excited! We are happy to have found this forum, it seems like a great resource.
We already have our first question for the group. Our r-dome did not come with our r-pod but we definitely want a screened room that attaches to the r-pod to keep the Alaskan mosquitoes out. Does anyone have any suggestions for what would work? I saw that someone mentioned an 11' Dometic Cabana but it was not clear to me if this attaches directly to the r-pod or if you need to have an awning installed separately. Also, should what works for the standard r-pod also work for the Hood River model? Any advice would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 10:20pm
I my opinion there is hardly any substitute for the r-dome. We've used an 11 x 11 Coleman instant screen house, which is pretty satisfactory really -- and probably actually better for mosquitoes -- but it doesn't attach to the pod. 

Are you going to be moving around a lot or staying mostly in one place?  The dome might be a bit much to put up for one night stays.  And making it mosquito-proof is going to take some effort.  I haven't tried to cut and fit screens along bottom, under the door and behind the wheel.  I haven't had to. At least in some parts of Alaska you'll really want to keep the mosquitoes out!

The extra room will be very valuable with a baby and 3 dogs.  An instant screen house, if nothing else, will be a near-necessity.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 5:38am
    The 179 having a little different shape from the other r-pods is the r-dome a option,will it fit. I agree it would be a advantage to have if the 179 models have the same track to attach it.                                          I went to the forestriver web site the r-dome is a option for the 179.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I my opinion there is hardly any substitute for the r-dome

I don't use mine often, but I have to agree.  The r-dome goes up reasonably quickly (compared to other screen tents), is spacious and offers very good bug protection.  It closes up well against the wind/rain/for privacy and opens up wide on beautiful days.  It really does extend your trailer's living space.  And, it folds down fairly easily and compactly.

It fits into the awning rails already on your r-pod (there are TWO rails - the r-dome includes a piece of screen that fits into the rail that runs along the bottom of your r-pod, preventing bugs from coming in from underneath the trailer).  For convenience, I highly recommend installing the studs/snaps to your trailer (as opposed to using suction cups or some other temporary measure) - these hold the sides of the dome snuggly to your trailer.

The r-dome is a bit expensive - but, it is a bit of a unique product and they always comes at a premium price.  Its probably priced $100 more than it should be - but, at the end of the day, the convenience and reduced hassle is worth the money.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 2:21pm
A note that the Cabana is the same as the R-dome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
LMH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 5:42pm
Wonderful! Thanks for all of the info. It's really helpful to know that the r dome is the same thing as the dometic cabana. We will certainly get something something like the r dome but want to make sure it will work before investing the money. Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply