This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sway Bars Needed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Bars Needed?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 9:44pm
I tow with a simple friction bar anti sway bar. I have also towed 100 miles down the Interstate at speeds around 60 or 70 without any sway bar and never experienced a problem. I tow with a 08 Chevy Trail blazer and it has a long wheelbase and is a very stable platform. I guess its what you tow with and what you are comfortable with. I have never had any problem with sway, tuck or whipping motion period. I do put the single friction sway bar on most of the time. Tow with what you are comfortable with.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
GrapeSoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GrapeSoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 8:35am
Does anyone know of a sway bar that doesn't require any welding, drilling or tapping into the frame to install?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CharlieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 9:40am
If you are looking for only sway control (no WDH) you can find a friction sway bar that clamps to the trailer frame, but you will have to get a sway control ball welded to the hitch itself somewhere. Several companies make these units. The easiest and most complete solution, completely bolt/clamp on with no drilling or welding is to go for the WDH plus sway control combination. The Fastway/Progress Mfg. E2 is an example, but others such as Blue Ox, Husky, EAZ-Lift, Reese and Andersen make competing products. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hairy Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 12:26pm
Charlie is right. Our Blue Ox WDH with sway control is completely bolt on. No welding or drilling required.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
GrapeSoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GrapeSoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 3:15pm
Maybe I should clarify.. I have an ezlift WDH but don't want to drill, tap, weld or otherwise invade the structure of the RPOD frame to install sway control.  I thought there would be some sort of clamp on type but I can't seem to find one.... bah
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

...but you will have to get a sway control ball welded to the hitch itself somewhere.  

The one we used with our popup had a plate that laid underneath the 2" ball, which had the smaller sway bar ball.  No welding.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:50pm
If you don't like sway bars, look into the Hayes Sway-Master or the Tuson Sway control which uses GPS and gyroscopes to detect speed and sway conditions. If sway exists, the devices will activate the trailer's brakes (Hayes, both or Tuson, individually) to bring the trailer back into line. It is a good alternative to a sway bar if Weight Distribution and/or sway bars is not desired.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:31pm
Just so we all are unconfused and, unlike my brother, assume traditional stabilizer bars, perhaps properly called anti-body roll bars and often called anti-sway bars have no effect on trailer sway at all. He added heavy front and rear stabilizer bars to his Tundra's suspension because some trailer sway alarmed him. Then added a WDH with sway control that helped.

Trailer sway is an instability caused by the center of gravity of the trailer being too far to the rear. My 180 is very stable with 14% on the tongue, but I run a friction sway damper, just in case.

Just in case, turned out to be not flushing the black tank well enough. LOl!
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:38pm
It isn't just too little tongue weight that causes sway. You can be properly loaded and have sufficient tongue weight and still encounter conditions that cause sway. I know. I've been there. That is why I got the Hayes Sway-Master which I use in conjunction with an Equal-i-zer hitch (belt and suspenders approach).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:58pm
this topic has been covered many, many times.  The "search function" will give lots of responses.

My take is that a weight distribution hitch with integrated sway is the safest way to go.  It is not essential, but I am happy to spend the $$$ for safety and peace of mind.  I have towed 3 different R Pods with 3 different tow vehicles Chevy Astro, Honda Pilot and Ford Expedition EL) thousands of miles including 2 cross country(NC to Washington State) trips. All of those miles used an Equalizer 4 point wdh hitch system with built in sway control.

When roads are smooth and there are no sudden changes necessary, you probably don't need them unless you are dealing with weight/loading/balance issues.  However, when you have that blowout or the passenger side tire drops off the pavement edge or other sudden change, sway may suddenly becomes a BIG issue. Like any other form of insurance, you only need it when you least expect it.  Most of the time, if you don't have it the first time, you will have it next time and hope you don't need it.

I am sure that my Ford Expedition EL will tow without either wdh or anti-sway, but I will always use it.I think it gives me more stability and safety without being difficult to use.

Everyone has their own opinion and can justify it.
safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>