R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do I need???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do I need???
    Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 1:07am
Do I need marine/RV toilet paper rather than regular TP? Really?

My tent trailer has a cartridge type toilet. We have used just regular TP. But then again we really never use it. Too much work to clean it.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 11:09am
If it is septic safe it should be ok in a camper.  I wouldn't pay extra for "rv toilet paper".
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 1:10pm
We've been using a marine toilet with a holding tank since 1985. All the holding tank problems we've ever had relate to when we used standard toilet paper.  The expenses incurred would have bought a $h!t load of marine toilet paper. 
We put a ban on out of the grocery store toilet paper 10 years ago and haven't had a problem since.  Marine/RV toilet paper is worth the time and expense of any issues you might incur. 
Septic systems don't sit below your feet, we dump more frequently and standard paper doesn't dissolve like it would over months. 
No a humble opinion, but an experienced one. 
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 1:09pm
Boomertype,

I agree with you on marine toilet paper for a boat. A boat usually has a macerator pump. Regular TP can be a problem with the pump and the suction dock side pump out stations. A bottom drain type tank may not have those problems. Stuff flows out pretty easy.

Just a thought.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 1:55pm
Cap-n... The regular type paper WILL give you problems in an RV. Honest.

I know I don't, and am pretty sure Boomer has no financial interest in trying to point it out.. Wink

I just have had the joy of cleaning up a couple problems with RV holding tanks over the years. Don't like it at all. Have my own dump station at the house now just so I can make sure I have time/place to take care of things when needed.. This is one of those areas where an ounce of prevention...

All that said, there are "regular" TP's that are ok. There is a test with water, a jar, and a sheet of the TP in question...
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 2:41pm
We've never had a problem with a macerator caused by toilet paper, they have ground up what we've given them.  It's more of an issue of paper not dissolving and clumping and blocking.  It just doesn't dissolve.  If it hangs in an area and blocks the flow outbound.  The tanks bottoms are flat and hopefully the spray system will make it float out.  Our macerator has had problems with tampons, despite the fact that everyone coming aboard our boat gets the lecture that nothing besides toilet paper, everything entering the toilet has to have entered the body, been chewed and has decided to exit the body.  We are blunt - unless it's urine, poop or vomit - don't flush it down, don't put it in the bowl.Censored
Holding tank problems are best addressed with forethought and prevention.  Lamp
And in the spirit of disclosure - I have never received financial support from any company related with RV/Marine toilet paper.  However I have been a consumer of both standard and RV/Marine toilet paper and have done my paperwork thousands of times.Thumbs Up

Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 3:09pm
furpod,

The property I live on has a septic system, so the TP we use is septic system safe. I plan to put in my own home "dump station" for the trailer. I will try the jar test too.

After getting my home system pumped, I know the "Joy". Working on boats has also taught me a lot of "Joys" too. Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12