R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod Caulk Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Caulk Maintenance
    Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:10pm
Hi all,

Our R-pod 172-T has survived it's first winter!  Luckily we live in North Carolina, so not all that bad of a winter:)

I'm interested in knowing what the hard and fast rules revolving around caulking the R-pod are?  I thought I might throw out a few questions to you all:

1) Should it be done every year?  If not, what's the frequency?
2) Is the roof strong enough to support someone standing/kneeling on it to adjust the caulk up on the roof?
3) Is there a particular brand I should be using?
4) Is there a walk through guide available?

I called Camping world...which was not very helpful.  They wanted $400 to caulk the roof only.  That seems a little outrageous for some caulk.  

Thanks!
Brannon
08-Kia Sedona
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:51pm
Inspect. Remove anything that has gone bad or come loose. New caulk will not stick to old caulk. There are caulks made for RV use. I use TremPro 644 for most everything.. Walking on the roof is a point of contention/discussion.. I will point out I have seen techs at the factory level do it. I slide a piece of plywood up there if I have to get on it. I can reach most everything from a ladder.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 9:04pm
I didn't think the roof could support the full weight of a person, but this past summer I didn't have a choice due to maintenance work I had to do to the A/C (cleaning the coils and removing the heat strip), plus my roof needed a hard core cleaning.  Didn't have a problem kneeling and sitting up there.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 9:11pm
I've been told by Forest River at times that the boxed off area around your AC can be walked on, but then that was later redacted.

So it's hard to say.

One thing about caulk that I'll mention.  I just replaced my marker lights with different ones just for a looks purpose.

After I had unscrewed the fixtures they pretty much fell right off from the Pod.  The caulk around them was showing no physical signs of it being that weak but it certainly could have used more caulk maintenance from me the first or second season we had the Pod I believe now.  Because of that I will now be more closely checking the caulk that doesn't even look as though it's worn or damaged.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:08pm
I have never caulked the seams, what the factory did when it was new has not had any problems so far. The cover is still on it, when it comes off next month it will be inspection time.
I did redo the joint compound around the tank vent on the roof last year because it was really starting to crack, I used Dicor Self Leveling rubber roof sealer. It is not cheap but does a nice job, it gets a hard surface that dirt does not stick to like the stuff that the factory uses yet stays flexible underneath. I think that the tank vent took about 1/2 to 3/4 of a tube, I built up around it a couple of times. This spring I plan to do around the bath vent figuring about 2 or 3 tubes to do the job.
The hardest part of redoing the vent is removing the old caulk, scraper a must, cleaned the surface with mineral spirits and let dry before putting the new stuff down. Plan on spending some time at it.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 5:39am
     We owned our r-pod for almost 5 years and in that time never did any resealing or caulking. We live in South Florida where the weather is warmer no freezing temps. and the r-pod was kept under a carport from direct sunlight. We never had a problem, I would inspect it and never seen any cracking when I would crawl on the roof to wash it. I weigh about 155 lbs. if someone being over 200 lbs. I would be cautious and use a sheet of plywood to spread out the weight. And be very careful if up on the roof when it is slippery from soapy water it would be easy to slip off the front or back with the way it is sloped. Never did that but when up there washing the thought wasn't far from my mind.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply