This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi from WA...Price?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from WA...Price?
    Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 2:02am
Hi from Bainbridge Island, WA.

I have been reading a lot on this forum. Our family has been camping for 20 years using a tent trailer. We are now down to just two of us and setting up and taking down the tent trailer is a pain. We have decided on a Rpod 177. I am going to primarily tow with a Land Rover Discovery. I have a TDR truck but like the smaller Discovery for vacations. The Discovery should do fine with a tow capacity of 5500 LBS.

My main question is price. I want to pay a fair price for the Rpod. We are going to purchase a new one. The dealer in my area is always having sales. The price varies from list to sale price this weekend. It is always going up in a week. I know it is a sale pitch, I just want to know the lowest fair price. I don't like dealing.

I can go out of state (next state over) and buy from a dealer who offers a life time warranty with yearly inspection. I have not received a quote from him yet. He is waiting for the new 2014 1/2 to come in, which he says will be higher in price. We want one of those because the entertainment center has been moved from above the bed.

I have even talked to one dealer about picking the Rpod up at the factory in The Dalles, OR. He said it was possible, I wouldn't have the instruction on how to use it from them and they would not be able to do their prep work. The systems on the Rpod and my tent trailer are pretty much the same and I am very familiar with boat systems. I know I would do fine without instructions.

As for price. Is it allowed on this site to post prices and get opinions on the range? Good or not so good of a deal. I don't think I will post the names of the dealers. What is Forest River opinion? I know they say to buy locally, but that really limits competition on price. I hate dealership negotiations.

Help me find the right price for our new Rpod. We want a Rpod 177, Hood River Edition, Crown Package and some other things. Any suggestions?

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 6:10am
    It seems to appear to me that the West Coast is generally higher priced than the East Coast. If you wanted to travel far I think you could get a better price than in Washington. I have learned to be patient and take the time to look and shop. There are a lot of dealers selling r-pods on the internet. My guess a fair price would be about $15,000, from what I have read from members on this forum.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:10am
I have seen people pay from the low 13's to the high 19's for 177's. Agreed west coast dealers always seem higher. Some west coasters have made the drive to the midwest. It seems the eastern dealers are more price competitive. Our dealer (and others) put their prices on-line, or will email them to you.. But of course, you have to add in the cost of driving out and back, and the pain of taking a week long camping vacation.. lol.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 11:50am
We did tour the plant in Dalles, OR before we took delivery or our 171. In fact we saw it on the last day before they checked it over and sent it to the dealer. In chatting with the pall plant manager, he mentioned that a lot of the components are made in the mid-west and then shipped to Oregon for final assembly. Also, all of the units built in the West Coast are Hood River editions, which include the protective plate on the front of the trailer, the lifts that make the trailer higher and the aluminum wheels and tires, which account for the higher pricing. To negotiate a better price, contact Couch's and have them email a price. Show that to your dealer. Should get you better pricing from your local dealer. If not head for the next dealer. Like auto sales, dealers are loath to lose a sale. Good luck. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 12:22pm
Blue Dog RV in Post Falls, ID, have impressed me. Look at the Dealer Review section, there are comments about them. Just across the stateline past Spokane. I have a contact for them, send me a message and we can discuss. Seems that they discount several thousand over our Local dealer. 
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 4:08pm
We bought our RP 175 locally at Poulsbo R/V in the spring of 2010. At that time all Pods were shipped in from the east and there were no other local Pod sellers. I see ads from Poulsbo R/V that indicate they're still in the Pod business. Poulsbo R/V is a big time old school R/V dealer. If you don't like to deal, then they will make sure that you take it in the shorts. If you don't mind dickering with them, then you can bring their asking price down some. Like all old school auto and R/V dealers you will be inundated with many offers of useless extras when you sit down to sign. Be prepared if you walk through their doors. Not a terrible company at all, just how a lot of those big dealers work.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 6:02pm

Welcome.  My usual story that others have read here before - my local dealer listed our 171 for $18k, after negotiations wouldn't go below about $14k.  I then pulled out my quote from Couch's and he came within a few hundred bucks on the spot.  I paid about $12500.

No worries about mentioning dealers and prices, one of our founding principles here is open communication.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 6:42pm
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 8:58pm
When I saw the Couch's RV listing today, I went to their website.  For some reason I thought they were in Portland, OR, nope, Ohio.  The had a really good price on a 178, but listed they wouldn't list the real price.  So I filled out the paperwork, not much and I immediately received a price in my email.  The price was $13,670 picked up in Ohio. In 10 minutes their was followup email from a sales guy.  I let him know I was a bit too far away.  He replied within 2 minutes that he would ship it.  I responded with my zip code and the shipping was $3200.  Their website clearly state they are a wholesale distributer.  Their prices are great if you don't have to drive3/4's the way across the country.
But the $13,670 is definitely the price I will start dickering with when I buy our 178 this summer.
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:08pm
You can use Couch's price to bargain, but you can also buy from them. Since you're already familiar with campers and their systems, you don't need a dealer to walk you around and tell you how the hot water heater works. And if you have a question, you just post it on the forum and get (10) answers in minutes. Even better than a dealer.

We found Couch to be professional, courteous, and they delivered it on time to our driveway. Saved thousands over the local dealer. Warranty work was done by another local FR dealer - no hassles or questions asked.

Conclusion: don't be afraid to buy online.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>