R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Rpod Owners in Bozeman MT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rpod Owners in Bozeman MT!
    Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 9:45am
I'm glad you asked before making the Subaru Purchase!  As much as I absolutely LOVED my 2014 Subaru Outback, it just didn't cut it for pulling the Pod.  You can't put an equalizer bar on the Subaru (nothing to hook it to), and I found the hard way that pulling (pushing) down the passes was an unpleasant experience with the swaying of the Pod.  I admit I may not have loaded it as well as I could have, but decided after that trip to trade in the Subaru for a 2014 GMC Acadia, which has 5000 pound towing capacity.  Must better towing experience.  Althought I am still a nervous wreck when I tow, since it is pretty new to me. 

So bottom line, get something bigger than the subaru to tow you Pod with.  I LOVE my pod, it is perfect for my two collies and I.
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 3:38pm
Run in an opposite direction from that Subaru.  They are, in the main, pieces of crap.  You can expect serious problems at about 70K; their head gaskets leak (which is a problem that most Subaru owners grudgingly accept as the price of owning one.); they are prone to catastrophic transmission failures before 100K, the power steering boots are prone to tear and leak ruing the power steering (as much as a 1K bill), etc, etc.  My daughter unfortunately owns one with some of the above mentioned problems at sub 100K; my mechanic says that repairing them is a real cash cow for him, but he wouldn't recommend buying one. A historian of technology that I know claims that Subaru hasn't changed much in the design of the engine since the time that they were building engines for the Japanese Imperial Army and Air Force before and during WWII - I haven't confirmed that allegation, however.  I am sure that you can dig up a number of anecdotes about the longevity and low maintenance of Subarus that some people own, but check out the repair stats on them before you buy.  Look at a Honda, a Toyota, and, if necessary, a Ford or a Chevy.  The Subaru's have a lot of cachet in South Central Montana where I live (Bozeman)
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 3:39pm
My final sentence should have read:

The Subaru's have a lot of cachet in South Central Montana where I live (Bozeman), but you are going to pay the piper in repair bills.
hartlej View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 4:52pm
Thanks for the feedback. I think the Subaru is out for pulling an R pod. Also, you all are not the first folks to say that about Subaru. I have a friend who has a 100K+ miles with no issues... maybe he is the exception? Other current options for towing are '08 Honda Odyssey with V6. Already has a tow package with transmission cooler on it or my '96 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4cylinder. Any thoughts there?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 5:16pm
I owned an '87 Subaru GL-10 from '92-'96.  Loved the car, but I had nothing but problems the whole time.  In the last 6 months I went through 3 engines after the original blew - the shop that replaced the engine finally said they refused to cover any more engines under warranty.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 5:39pm
I would go with the Honda if the engine is larger and more powerful than your Taco.  I pulled my Pod for a number of years with a v-6 4-Runner with a tow package.  Worked well, but the hills and the head winds slowed it down considerably.  I recall that, when I went over Soldiers Pass in UT, I had it down into second gear and the 4-Runner had a larger engine than your 96 Tacoma.  But people pull the Pods with the Taco, quite well; however, I think that those are the more recent ones with a larger engine than the 2.7.  And, yes some folks have good luck with the Subarus, but then they might have been built on a good day.  Oh, did I mention the problem with piston slap on the Subarus?  You might check out the tow ratings at: http://rvbonus.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345