Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGENERATOR - Event Date: 27 Feb 2014 - 27 Apr 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: GENERATOR
    Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 4:52pm
Yeah! What Doug said. I feel really good now that we have the Pod, a new yamaha 2400ishc and the Generac gas guzzler. A little power management and I think we're good!

One thing that really bugs me though...

When I bought my gas Generac a deciding factor was all the other gas stuff I got - tractor, brush hog, chain saws. etc. AND the 4Runner and Forrester with another combined 40 gallons or so of fuel when full.

Gas seemed like the logical choice for me.

Of course that was *before* I learned that I can't siphon gas out of either vehicle! Jeez, just keep learnin...

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 6:02pm
You can get fuel out of those vehicles if you need.. I have a hose, with a schrader valve on it, that I can screw onto the fuel rail, and turn on the key and let the fuel pump run..I got the idea from the fact that my mustang has a fuel rail pressure gauge, so I just built this hose, and mounted it the same way.. worked.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

Originally posted by furpod

The Yamaha we are looking at runs about 6 hours on a gallon of gas.. 8 hours on a full tank.

Could you give me the model number of the Yamaha you are looking at?

Yamaha 2400ishc

link

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 6:16pm

You can get fuel out of those vehicles if you need.. I have a hose, with a schrader valve on it, that I can screw onto the fuel rail, and turn on the key and let the fuel pump run..I got the idea from the fact that my mustang has a fuel rail pressure gauge, so I just built this hose, and mounted it the same way.. worked.

Wow! That's a little more hi tech than drilling a hole in the tank and using a wine cork after! ;)

Actually, the good thing about those siphon baffles is I don't have to worry about getting that gasoline taste out of my mouth! Cry

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 6:51pm
During a 7 day power outage over Christmas, we used a 5500W Generac during the day, then at bedtime the house went dark and we switched to a 1000W Honda, which had plenty of power to run our propane fired household boiler. The Honda ran out of fuel somewhere around 4:30 AM, which allowed indoor morning temps to drop to around 60 degrees. When the Generac came back online in the morning it warmed up fast. During this outage we kept the thermostat at 70 degrees, higher than we normally run it, thinking the house wouldn't cool down too much when fuel ran out at O Dark Thirty. It was definitely noticeable to us and actually a wee bit too warm during the day. 

Fuel consumption was 10-12 gals/day for the Generac plus just over a half gallon each night for the Honda. 

Some folks in our area had problems with their general purpose generators (like our Generac) not furnishing clean enough power to satisfy their electronic ignition furnaces, so they were still without heat. Our little boiler has a pilot light, so it was just as happy with the Generac as it was with the Honda.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 7:52pm
so it seems that generac is the choice here................for the guzzler!!!! 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 10:45am
Mark, that Yamaha is impressive.  I did notice that the consumption is rated at 1/4 throttle and it has a 1.6 gallon fuel tank.  I wonder if you have to keep it on full throttle to start one of our pod's air conditioners.  My Dometic 3000 must be on full throttle to do so, and that greatly reduces my run time on a tank.  I do like the looks of the Yamaha.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 11:28am
No choice on that Yamaha for eco vs. full throttle, it is always on eco.  I have the EF2400is and it runs my pod A/C just fine, this past summer it would run the pod for 8 hours per fillup, keeping the AC fan "on".  Seriously considering selling it if anyone is interested.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 11:38am

I've read of doing this and want to - just need to figure out the parts.  Is there typically already a joint on the fuel line where it is easy to add in a T?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I've read of doing this and want to - just need to figure out the parts.  Is there typically already a joint on the fuel line where it is easy to add in a T?

Yes, as far as I know, all fuel rails have a "diagnostic port" somewhere. I can only speak to 4 fords that I have owned lately, but they all have/had it. As does her VW Gti.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>