R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle ground cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle ground cable
    Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 4:57pm
  I have been following a topic on the Dodge ram forum changing the ground cables to 4 gauge and I believe adding additional ground cables.  The results are that headlights are brighter,engine starts faster and best of all better MPG 1.5 MPG better. There is quite a discussion about this and some are being persuaded to make the change including myself. What is being said is that it should not affect warranty or do any harm to your vehicle. My question is does this make any sense to anyone or has anyone heard of this before?Techntrek I thought this would be a good question for you or anyone else with knowledge of electricity. There is about 10 pages of discussion on this topic and growing. They get into a lot of detail even similar experience with aircraft engines. All comes down to having less resistance with the flow of electricity the way I understand it. Any information would be helpful. Thank you David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 5:30pm
Ah yes! Mysterious vapors are rising from the marsh. If you breath deeply you will be transported to the mythical land of milk, honey, and MPG.

That said the only place where this might make any sense is the negative wire from battery to frame. That might make a tiny improvement in starting, but you would probably not notice it. Everything else is either mounted to the engine frame such as starter and alternator, or is much lower current draw such as headlights, blower, and accessories. Replacing each of these ground wires with #4 would  cost $$$ and weigh ###. Not practical, and unnecessary. As for increased MPG, see paragraph 1 above.

P.S: Of course this assumes the Ram has not been converted to an Electric Vehicle Tongue
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 8:54pm
 My guess - larger ground straps mean lowered resistance.  Lower resistance means higher voltage, so the battery recharges faster and other electric accessories use less amps.  Lowered load on the alternator means less gas used. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 9:06pm
Doug,

You're right that the battery will recharge slightly faster if the negative lead is upgraded, but the difference will be minute if the original is reasonably sized unless the battery is severely discharged. Most every other DC device except a constant power switching converter will draw less current with less voltage, but the difference in effectiveness will be barely noticeable. Where and RVer can improve with bigger wire is the trailer charging line to the TT. That usually is a good candidate for upgrade.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 4:29pm
Absolutely - I always suggest 8 or 10 gauge wire for the +12 line running to the Bargeman, and the same for the ground IF it isn't attached to the frame close to the Bargeman.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply