R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExtended Warranty?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended Warranty?
    Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:10am
I replied to a post, with a pic of my new rig, but it ended up on the last page. I thought I'd start a new post with my question. I was offered a 7 year extended warranty for $1001.00. Bumper to bumper with a package that's similar to AAA's Gold coverage. I don't normally buy these, but this does sound pretty good. Anybody else have this? If so, is it worth it? Forgot to mention that the deductible is $34.00 at Route 66 affiliated shops and still under $100.00 at all other shops.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 8:22am
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3809&title=extended-warranty

Bunch of info thoughts and opinions in that thread..

But the general consensus of the most owners, and financial gurus is not to buy them.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 10:51am
I agree with Mark.  Most failures of major appliances will occur either immediately or shortly after the appliance is put into operation, or almost definitely within the one year warranty period.  In all my years of RVing, I have never purchased an extended warranty nor have I ever found the need for one.  My last new Class A motor home had all the options, including 2 slides, 2 roof A/C units, etc.  Not once did we have to return to the dealer for any warranty work.  R-pods are relatively simple and fool-proof, so I would never consider purchasing an extended warranty.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:42pm
I replied to your other post.  Similar answer again - I never buy extended warranties, I'm willing to take the same bet as the manufacturer that I'll spend less making repairs than the warranty cost.  However, for the $150 that Forest River's extended warranty cost I did buy that.  I wouldn't spend $1000 for a 7 year warranty.  Take some of that money and just get a good over-the-road plan that covers towing the pod. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 8:57pm
The pods are pretty simple and easy to fix small problems. I did however purchase an extended 3 year warranty on the 3 way fridge. I figure it is one of the most expensive items in the pod that I probably could not service myself. After looking at replacement costs I felt the extra warranty cost was reasonable.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
GlobeTrotter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 11:56am
I wouldn't buy it either.  But, Blue Dog RV in Idaho simply gave us a FREE Forever Extended Warranty.   All you have to do is some normal annual maintenance.  
Podding from Montana and loving it!
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 2:46pm
Wife had us buy it. We use ours often, so it wasn't that hard to believe something may break. Had the Jenson replaced already. That's around $300 before labor. One more thing goes and it'll have paid for itself. I guess it's just a matter of are you technically sound enough to repair/replace the stuff. I'm not.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:46pm
Welcome. I believe what all the others have mentioned about the extended warranty. However, you might check on having an undercoating put on for use during the winter months, when Calif. salts the roads. Enjoy and Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply