Topic ClosedMPG Trailer by Heartland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: MPG Trailer by Heartland
    Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 6:52am
What was the relationship, if any, between the R-Pod and the MPG?

I just saw an MPG for the first time yesterday.  The similarity, (too weak a word- the 'identical-ness'), 
with the R-Pod caused a real double take.  After searching the brand on the 'net I found
that the Heartland MPG has been discontinued, but a pop-up informed me that "Due to popular
demand" they were considering a re-introduction.

Their Model '188', (sound familiar?) has virtually the same floor plan as the 177, but reversed.
The entry door is aft of the wheels, with the queen bed in the front and the dinette in the rear.
The kitchen is on a slide and the bath is opposite it.

The owner said he had considered the R-Pod, but bought the MPG because it had a rear bumper!
(FR-  Are you reading this?)

No model envy or second thoughts on my part except that the same window over our bed in the
rear of the 177 is over the bed in the 188, placing it on the leading surface of the trailer-
something a few of us have expressed an interest in for our R-Pods.  Retro-fit, anyone?
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 7:27am
   I think there was legal problems with the manufacturer of the MPG copying the design of the r-pod and that is the reason it was discontinued.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 10:06am
That is/was my understanding also.

Retrofitting a window into the leading surface of any trailer is probably not for the faint of heart. You would need to "frame it in", inside the existing wall structure. I suspect there are a few of us dumb enough to attempt it, but seriously doubt anyone would want to pay what (I at least) would charge to do it. lol
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 11:12am
Originally posted by furpod

That is/was my understanding also.

Retrofitting a window into the leading surface of any trailer is probably not for the faint of heart. You would need to "frame it in", inside the existing wall structure. I suspect there are a few of us dumb enough to attempt it, but seriously doubt anyone would want to pay what (I at least) would charge to do it. lol

how much???

Big smile
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 2:11pm
We have friends that have an MPG. We have traveled with them on several long trips. I don't recall the model they have-but it sounds like the 188 mentioned above(bed in fron, dinette in rear, door in rear, kitchen in slide). We have traveled with them in Florida, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah.  the MPG is a copy of the R Pod, but the quality is not as good.  They told me that the MPG was discontinued as part of an agreement to avoid/settle a lawsuit regarding the infringement of design patents and legal issues with Forest River(or their parent company).

They have had a lot of problems with the slide, the electrical system, the refrigerator, microwave, entertainment system  and other components. i also think that the construction and finish are not as good.

there are some advantages-front window as mentioned, higher ground clearance, rear bumper, better screen door, LED lights, front armored lower panel and other small things.  A lot of their storage space is accessed only from exterior hatches, leaving the interior storage areas lacking.

It's an ok unit, but I wouldn't trade it for our 173.

Vann
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 1:43am
Correct that the MPG are not being made right now. Due to a pending lawsuit against them they stopped making them. I have seen some rumors that we may see something resurface in that model range.

I strongly looked at trading in my R-pod 171 for a MPG when they were first coming out. They did have some features that the R-pods did not have But then I could not make a deal for 2 reasons. 1) the Dollars the dealer wanted to charge me for it and 2) The construction of the unit I was looking at seemed to be just slapped together. This was right as they were coming out and was a very early model run.

I also own a early run of the R-Pod 171 and have done lots of modifications to fix or improve on the R-pod 171
Freetogroove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 12:10pm
Hello fellow campers.Coincidently this is my very first post as I was just youtube-ing around last night and came across that MPG and wondered about it too.

I'm "this close" to buying the 177 I love but hesitate because I so wish R-pod had that window at the leading end. I want to see what's out there while I'm inside.

I'm thinking of mirroring most of that wall as decorators do to reflect natural light and make a room feel larger.
Beauty arises in the stillness
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 1:54pm
Welcome.  I would love to have a window up there, too while I'm sitting at the table, but we almost always eat outside.  We also like it very dark so we can sleep in and it would just be another window to black out.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Freetogroove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 2:30pm
Thanks for the welcome Doug I suppose I should get myself over to the "introduce yourself" forum.....
Beauty arises in the stillness
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 3:44pm
All I can add is that my new/used 2013 177 has more light and more windows than my old 172, even with the latter's three windows in the dinette area.  For cold weather camping, more windows means more heat loss.  The MPGs look pretty spiffy, though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply