R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDead furnace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead furnace
    Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Have you checked all of the fuses to make sure the one for the furnace isn't blown?  I also just read there is likely a circuit breaker either under the front cover of the furnace or behind the furnace (don't know why it would be back there). 

The only fuse I know about is the 7.5 amp fuse in the main fuse panel and it's fine.  All the fuses there are fine.  I have the cover off the furnace, and don't see another fuse.  There is a black button thing that I think is hooked straight to the thermocouple.  It's pushable but doesn't do anything for me.  There is a circuit board at the furnace, mounted sideways, at right angles to the front of the furnace.  I can see an off/on switch on there that is on, but without pulling the furnace, I don't see how to access the circuit board.  That would mean disconnecting the LP copper pipe, which seems like a last resort to me.  And the furnace definitely won't work with no LP, so other than something very obvious like a blown fuse, there's not a lot of point in my pulling the furnace out.

If we know there is a fuse there it might be worth it.  I'll see what the manual for the furnace says about that.  The manual has not been much help so far though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 12:43pm
 Have you checked all of the fuses to make sure the one for the furnace isn't blown?  I also just read there is likely a circuit breaker either under the front cover of the furnace or behind the furnace (don't know why it would be back there). 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 11:44am
Well, the thermostat works for every thing but the furnace.  I've tried shorting it every way that makes any sense at all.  The furnace wire to the thermostat ground wire does make a barely audible muffled little click at the furnace, but still no heat or furnace fan.

Any other thoughts?  Does it seem prudent to replace the thermostat still?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 11:06am
I am a bit disadvantaged since I am out camping, but  I believe Rh means Red Heat and is +12Volts.White is usually the heater. Green is the heater blower if it has a separate fan control, but POD heaters do not use this function. The heater itself controls the blower. Shorting the green to white may give a false indication of non operation. Normally I would suggest shorting the red to white, expecting to blower to begin its cycle, but then I would remember the FR motto: Let no two Pods be the same. You could check the red wire with a voltmeter to see if is +12V. If it is, try shorting to the white. If the red really measures 7.5V it is some kind of internal logic supply and much more research is required.

Replacing the Duo-Therm may be a challenge if you want to retain the two speed A/C fan function. Most house thermostats just have fan on/auto.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 8:55am
I think you will find that shorting the white and green wires is what you want to try. You said you had ruled out the fuse, so it almost has to be the stat or wireing..
jj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 12:16am
jj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 11:49pm

The following are the wire colors used in a 5 wire thermostat cable. if it is hooked up correctly by installer.

• G – Fan, usually a green wire
  • R – 12 Volt usually a red wire 
  • C – 12 Volt Common usually a blue wire
  • Y – Cool, usually a yellow wire
  • W – Heat, usually a white wire
your wiring is as follows from your discription.
+7.5 red wire = voltage to thermostate
cool  yellow = AC
fur white wire = furnace
hi fan blue wire = high fan speed
fan brown wire = normal fan speed
grnd green wire = common or ground

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Outbound

just short the Rh and W wires - the furnace fan should come on right away. 

What is an Rh wire?  I see 6 wires, left to right, red, yellow, white, blue, brown, green.  Labeled, in the same order, +7.5, Cool, Fur, Hi Fan, Fan, Gnd.  W, I suppose is White, Rh might be Red (but that seems odd).  I don't know what +7.5 (the red wire) means either.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I'd like to figure out how to bypass the thermostat though to start the furnace just to ensure the problem isn't on that end.

Its quite easy - just short the Rh and W wires - the furnace fan should come on right away.  Also, you don't have to replace your thermostat with the stock Dometic model - you can use a household model; the wiring and labelling are identical.  Personally, I installed an old programmable thermostat in my R-Pod.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 10:15pm
Thanks for the thoughts...  I haven't really fooled with it anymore yet, but I have googled around a bit about the Dometic thermostat.  It seems they don't have a stellar reputation.  But they aren't very expensive so I guess I'll get another one and give it a try.  I'd like to figure out how to bypass the thermostat though to start the furnace just to ensure the problem isn't on that end.  Maybe it will become apparent how to do that as I dig in.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>