Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: NC to WA
    Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 9:06am
Welcome back to Washington-in advance!
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 9:18pm
Thanks to everyone for the insight and tips. Since it will be just me driving up, along with my dog Comet, I'll be able to put in longer days on the road ... M gets a little antsy after about 6 hours and she starts to whine. With that in mind I'm thinking it will take 5 days with 9.5 to 10 hours on the road drive-time each day, and around 12 hours total with stops. I've done long trips before with longer days of driving, including when we moved down here from Seattle (4 days), but that was without towing something behind me and so 5 should do it. However, I also know that things can change at any point in a trip like this, and I'll plan on extra time just in case.

I'll be sticking to the interstates the whole way (safety first) and am most likely going to use the truck stop method of overnighting. There are a ton of Flying J's and Pilot Centers from here to there which are very friendly to RV's and trailer towers, with an ability to get a hot meal and a shower at the end of each day. Plus they have an app that tells you where all of them are, how far the next one is, what amenities it has, and so on.

Things are moving faster for us on the home fronts than I originally thought it would, and we have already made an offer that was accepted on our new home in Spokane which closes in 30 days. Our house here is going on the market in 2 weeks and should be priced well enough to get a quick sale. With that in mind I'm toying with the idea of packing and moving everything up except the Pod and Grand Cherokee, leaving them here for a bit longer either in storage or with friends, and flying back down on Memorial Day weekend for the drive back up. That would give me plenty of time and allow me to do some sight-seeing along the way, though it would be during a very busy travel week on the highways.

Of course, I'd have to take more time to drive it if I do it that week because M would want to make the trip with me!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 9:36am
I have confirmed dates now that have me leaving Charlotte on Friday 5/16 and hopefully getting into Spokane on Wednesday 5/21, which gives me 6 days travel time. I'm off the rest of that week just in case the going is slower for any reason.

Question: The route I'm driving takes me north to where I pickup I-90 at Sioux Falls, and then on I-90 across South Dakota and Montana and on into Spokane. Does anyone know what the weather is usually like in those 2 states at that time of the year (mid-May)? Does it stay cold enough that I should not be de-winterizing the Pod yet?
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 12:01pm
I've seen snow in Missoula, MT the last day of May, 14 inches. You never know!
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 9:37am
Would love some final thoughts on my itinerary before I book reservations for my moving trip a month out from now -- too aggressive?  should be do-able?  Have decided to stay at KOA's that are located w/in what I think my driving range is for each day, and that are right off of the freeway for easy access (this way I have electricity for c-pap, laptop, coffee maker, etc).

Friday:  Charlotte to Nashville KOA -- 408 miles, @ 8 hrs road time
Saturday:  Nashville to KC/Oak Grove KOA -- 530 miles, @ 10.5 hrs road time
Sunday:  KC to Kennebec SD KOA -- 552 miles, @ 11 hrs road time
Monday:  Kennebec to Billings KOA --- 549 miles, @ 11 hrs road time
Tuesday:  Billings to Spokane -- 542 miles, @ 12 hrs road time (couple of passes to go over on this section) -- if tired at this point I have no problem with pulling over and spending another night somewhere, finishing up on Wednesday
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 10:21am
I believe that I would add a couple of hours to your drive time each day, it generally takes us 13 plus hours to travel 550 miles all on pretty flat land. I stop about every 180 miles or when the gas gage gets 3/4 empty to fill up and to walk a little. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 10:57am
Thanks Goose ... I think that is what I needed to hear, and those would be just too long of days for me 5 in a row.  I think I am going to go back to my original 6 day trip plan with @ 450 miles per day.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 12:14pm
I agree with Goose, You need time to eat, get gas & other stuff along the way.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:40pm
550 is pretty doable, depending on your dedication, but I think you'd be a lot better off with a 6 day plan.  If it were me, I might map out some daily goals like you did but I'd keep going if I made a goal and felt like I had another hour or 2 or 3 or 4 in me and put those miles in the bank for a later day.  Aside from flat tires and stuff like that, there's no telling what you might want to linger over along the way.

KOAs and electricity etc are nice, but you might not need them every night.  Walmarts or truckstops can be mighty quick and easy.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:45pm
I disagree that the times are too short, based on the advice I gave on the prior page.  Google maps says Charlotte to Nashville KOA is 6.3 hours.  Multiply that by 1.25 and you get almost 8 hours.  That 1.25 multiplier is based on my own experience and includes gas stops, getting behind trucks, etc.  

I agree that that many days in a row of 10-11-12 hour days is a bit much.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>